[comp.sys.encore] Fiddling IP headers under UMAX V

rxxgap@minyos.xx.rmit.oz (Greg Price) (02/23/90)

  I have the need to set particular fields in the IP header, in particular
the time to live counter, or the options (to allow a route record). Does
anyone know how to do this under UMAX V. Root privs are not a concern. It
would also be possible to construct the IP header myself and send it out
raw, but I need to receive the replies.

  I have read a number of the manual entries about sockets. The man claims
that raw mode under IP has the IP header automatically prepended to it (which
is undesirable). There are only two address families valid for the socket
call, neither of them being the raw interface mode.

  Does anyone have any suggestions (within reason)?

Thanks, Greg.

Greg Price,                                                 Computer Centre,
Systems Programmer.                 Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology,
                                            P.O. Box 2476V, Melbourne. 3001.
ACSnet:	rxxgap@minyos.xx.rmit.oz               (124 Latrobe St., Melbourne.)
CSNET:	rxxgap@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au                               Australia.
ARPA:	rxxgap@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
BITNET:	rxxgap@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au@CSNET-RELAY         PHONE +61 3 660 2934
UUCP:	...!uunet!munnari!minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au!rxxgap     FAX +61 3 663 5652

peralta@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Rick Peralta) (02/27/90)

In article rxxgap@minyos.xx.rmit.oz (Greg Price) writes:

>  I have the need to set particular fields in the IP header, in particular
>the time to live counter, or the options (to allow a route record). Does
>anyone know how to do this under UMAX V. Root privs are not a concern. It
>would also be possible to construct the IP header myself and send it out
>raw, but I need to receive the replies.

You didn't mention which version of the OS, but in this case the answer is
pretty much the same.  You can't really change the IP header information
without modifying the driver source.

The next release (Umax 2.4) uses streams.  This will allow you the ability
to create streams drivers and modules.  Also, there is a facility to allow
work from user space with link level (Ethernet) data.  This is not exactly
a simple task, but may allow you to accomplish what you really want.

 - Rick