[comp.sys.encore] General Questions

corbin@maxzilla.Encore.COM (03/20/90)

hudak@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Dave Hudak) writes:

>What is the latest microprocessor used in the Multimax?  (The
>last I know of is an NS32532.)  What's the clock rate?

The XPC board is our current processor board.  It contains 2 ns32532's
running at 30mhz.

>What configurations do they come in - more specifically, what
>is the largest number of processors they support?

Currently from 2 - 20 processors.

>What cache coherence scheme is used?  (If possible, be more
>specific than "snooping caches")

On-chip the 532 has 1k data and 512 byte instruction caches.  They are
both write-through.  Externally to each 532 on the processor card is a
256k ownership-based write-back cache.

>Has any significant improvements been made to the Nanobus?
>(Last I heard, it had 80ns cycle time and was a split-transaction
>bus...)

The Nanobus has always been and still is an 80ns, 100mb/sec pended bus.

>Where is a good place to read about technical announcements for
>companies like Encore?

Got me.  I never can find 'em :-)

Stephen Corbin
{bu-cs,decvax,necntc,talcott}!encore!corbin             corbin@encore.COM