[comp.sys.encore] printers off annexes - probs with long jobs being resubmitted

composer@bucsf.bu.edu (Jeff Kellem) (03/24/90)

Has anyone else seen the following problem??

Scenario: a couple printers hanging of an annex box
	  print queues off a Multimax running UMAX4.2 (doubt this matters)
	  annexes are Annex-IIs, running v4.1
Problem: after some number of pages, a job will restart from the beginning
         (same header page, job number, etc).

This usually occurs for large jobs and the position that it restarts at
varies.

Note: A "large" job in this case could be a 30 page print job, though 30
pages is not very large.

Thanks for any info or pointers on this...

				-jeff

Jeff Kellem
INTERNET: composer@cs.bu.edu  (or composer@bu.edu)
UUCP: ...!harvard!bu-cs!composer

loverso@Xylogics.COM (John Robert LoVerso) (03/29/90)

In article <COMPOSER.90Mar23212703@bucsf.bu.edu> composer@cs.bu.edu writes:
> Scenario: a couple printers hanging of an annex box
> 	  print queues off a Multimax running UMAX4.2 (doubt this matters)
> 	  annexes are Annex-IIs, running v4.1
> Problem: after some number of pages, a job will restart from the beginning
>          (same header page, job number, etc).

It *is* important that you are using UMAX4.2.  In particular, how are the
printers feeding print data to the Annex?  With UMAX4.2, you have several
choices:

	1. Using "ra=" in /etc/printcap
	   This uses the Annex LPD protocol and should not be any different
	   than any other host using a modified Berkeley spooler.  There is
	   no known problem with this that would cause only half a job to
	   come out.

	2. Using RDP (via an rnode) and "lp=" in /etc/printcap
	   This should also work without a problem (I.e., even though
	   there are several problems with RDP, this isn't one of them).
	   If this is how you are attaching your printer, you should
	   definitely call Encore customer service.

	3. Using an rtelnet-created device and "lp=" in /etc/printcap
	   You should not use rtelnet under UMAX4.2 because of several
	   problems in the networking code, including problems with
	   non-blocking I/O not working properly and interrupted system
	   calls not being properly restarted.  In particular, with
	   rtelnet, a write is done but is interrupted, and so an EINTR
	   results.  However, there has usually already been a partial
	   write, and there is no information on how many bytes of the
	   buffer were actually written.  I.e., the output datastream
	   is hosed.  For this reason, do not use rtelnet under UMAX4.2
	   (at least up to and including R3_3).

Either way, if you are having problems with Encore-supplied programs,
you should report the problem to Encore Customer Service.  When they
have eliminated any potenial UMAX problem as the cause, they will
then forward the problem onto Xylogics.

John
--
John Robert LoVerso			Xylogics, Inc.  617/272-8140 x284
loverso@Xylogics.COM			Annex Terminal Server Development Group