[comp.sys.encore] Exabyte tape drives on Encore Multimax

wojcik@hudson.crl.dec.com (Ted Wojcik) (05/29/90)

I have an Encore Multimax here with a CDC tape drive that we've been
using to backup.  I am trying to convert everything here to Exabyte backup.
Has anyone attached an Exabyte drive to a Multimax?  What problems did you
have?  What software did you need to find?  Are there wierd cables needed?

I'll post a summary of my responses to the net if there's any interest.

Thanks, /Ted

--
+-+--------------------------{ Standard Disclaimer:
}------------------------+-+
|o|     The opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not
|o|
| |     represent the official views of  Digital Equipment Corporation.
| |
}-----------------------|o|
| |   (Usenet)   {decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!crl.dec.com!wojcik
| |
|o|   (Internet) wojcik@crl.dec.com
|o|
| | T. J. Wojcik, Systems Manager
| |
|o| Digital Equipment Corporation        +---------------------------+
TM    |o|
| | Cambridge Research Lab               |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
| |
|o| 1 Kendall Sq. Bldg. 700 Flr. 2       | d | i | g | i | t | a | l |
|o|
| | Cambridge, MA 02139, USA             |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
| |
|o| (617)621-6652                        +---------------------------+
|o|
+-+---------------------------------------------------------------------
------+-+

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (05/30/90)

In article <5408@crltrx.crl.dec.com>, wojcik@hudson.crl.dec.com (Ted Wojcik) writes:

> I have an Encore Multimax here with a CDC tape drive that we've been
> using to backup.  I am trying to convert everything here to Exabyte backup.
> Has anyone attached an Exabyte drive to a Multimax?  What problems did you
> have?  What software did you need to find?  Are there wierd cables needed?

We went out and bought a standard Exabyte unit for our MM320 with the
non-differential EMC. It worked just fine from the start. At least UMAX V
(which is what we use here) includes drivers for ExaByte. Connecting an
ExaByte to a differential EMCD wouldn't be any harder, since there
are ExaByte units for differential SCSI available now.

--
          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson@erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB