Date: Tue, 29 May 90 14:28:00 EDT
From: Terence Kelleher <terryk@pinocchio.encore.com>
To: wojcik
Subject: Re: Exabyte tape drives on Encore Multimax

I formerly did IO support work for Encore and I implemented the
Exabyte support in the Multimax.  You may notice that Encore does not
sell the Exabyte and does not recommend its use.  You won't get any
direct support from Encore on them, if there are problems.

The basic IO systems we ship already have the Exabyte support.  You
need only connect it.  Use no less than 24 guage wire, preferably in
twisted pairs to run outside of the cabinet.  The cable must be
shielded and really should have a full braided sheild, rather than a
simple foil sheild.

If you have a differential SCSI bus on the Multimax, get a
differential Exabyte and use that.  The differential is far less prone
to bus errors than single ended.  Encore advises against running the
single ended cables outside of the cabinet.

If you have a spare EMC, with no disks on it, use that, to prevent the
possibility of the external cable impacting the performance and
reliability of the disks.

The Exabyte gets handled the same as the CDC, from the user
prospective.  All device specific differences are managed in the EMC
or MSC code.  The Exabyte should be set to ID 3 if it is the only
tape drive on its SCSI channel or ID 2 if it is on with the CDC.  ID 3
is addressed as lun 8 and ID 3 as lun 10 (unix lun in the minor
number, see make_node or mknod).

If you run into any specific problems, I'd be glad to answer any
questions.  Just let me know.
- --
Terence Kelleher
Encore Computer Corporation