[comp.sys.encore] Encore Rumors

martens@python.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (07/25/90)

I've heard a couple of rumors regarding Encore, and I'm curious if
there's any truth to either:

Rumor 1) They have a new machine coming out that's better than the
Multimax.

Rumor 2) They are having financial difficulties.

Rumor 3) The Multimax bus doubles as a bike rack.

-=-
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

If you must drink, don't spearfish.  If you must spearfish, don't
drink.  The appendage you save may be your own.

jcallen@Encore.COM (Jerry Callen) (07/25/90)

In article <82429@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Jeff Martens <martens@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>I've heard a couple of rumors regarding Encore, and I'm curious if
>there's any truth to either:
>
>Rumor 1) They have a new machine coming out that's better than the
>Multimax.

Can you name a successful computer company that did NOT announce new products
every year or so? I didn't think so...

The "91 series" has already been announced, based on the Motorola 88K
processor. No secret there. Given my statement above, you can probably
assume that the hardware engineers aren't sitting around twiddling their
thumbs. They like to keep us software pukes busy with new widgits. :-)

>Rumor 2) They are having financial difficulties.

I'm just a techie, but the bank keeps cashing my paycheck, and the last
two quarters have been profitable.

>Rumor 3) The Multimax bus doubles as a bike rack.

Only if you request the right options. Something like the "bungy cord
extention unit." :-)

BTW, that was THREE rumors, not two, so I guess I can't confirm or deny
"either." :-)

>-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

-- Jerry Callen
   software puke, er, runtime system guru, er, Senior Software Engineer
   Encore Computer Corporation
   jcallen@encore.com

   You realize, of course, that these blatherings are in no way official
   Encore company policy. Consider the posting time. :-)

cook@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Dale C. Cook) (07/25/90)

[Jeff Martens <martens@cis.ohio-state.edu> sez:
|I've heard a couple of rumors regarding Encore, and I'm curious if
|there's any truth to either:

We've heard that Ohio State is in trouble due to lack of applications...
:-)

|Rumor 1) They have a new machine coming out that's better than the
|Multimax.

Hell yes.  It's a tough job but somebody has to do it!

|Rumor 2) They are having financial difficulties.

So who (Digital, Alliant, etc etc) isn't??  Ours are, from where I
sit not priv to any "official" info, due to the very healthy
perspective of introducing new products.  American companies/
investors have too short a horizon.. We should be looking 10 years
down the road like Japan does.

|Rumor 3) The Multimax bus doubles as a bike rack.

Not so!  It's really a planter.

|If you must drink, don't spearfish.  If you must spearfish, don't
|drink.  The appendage you save may be your own.

Some of my best friends are spearfish.

        - Dale (N1US)   Encore Computer Corporation, Marlborough, Mass.

INTERNET:  cook@encore.com	"To me, every hour of the day and
UUCP: buita \			 night is an unspeakalby perfect
    talcott  } !encore!cook	 miracle."
   bellcore /			 	- Walt Whitman

wcarroll@encore.com (Mr. New Dad) (07/26/90)

From article <82429@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, by martens@python.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens):
> I've heard a couple of rumors regarding Encore, and I'm curious if
> there's any truth to either:
>
> Rumor 1) They have a new machine coming out that's better than the
> Multimax.

I sure hope so. If not, we won't make money much longer.

> Rumor 2) They are having financial difficulties.

If this means they don't pay me enough, I agree.

> Rumor 3) The Multimax bus doubles as a bike rack.

Does this mean I don't have to park my bike in my office anymore?
Or do I get a Multimax in my office to use as a rack?

Come on folks, these "rumors" were released to the press. Let's read
those trade journals a little closer.

--
William R. Carroll  (Encore Computer Corp., Ft. Lauderdale FL)
wcarroll@encore.com         uunet!gould!wcarroll