[comp.sys.encore] configuring an async line as SLIP

nigel@cs.city.ac.uk (Nigel Mitchem) (08/31/90)

 We have a Powernode 6040 running UTX2.1a
 How can we configure a tty line as SLIP.

 Much Obliged.

 Nig
 (n.mitchem@cs.city.ac.uk)

ted@gouldnl.encore.nl (Ted Lindgreen) (09/03/90)

In <1990Aug31.135656.6257@cs.city.ac.uk> nigel@cs.city.ac.uk (Nigel Mitchem) writes:
> We have a Powernode 6040 running UTX2.1a
> How can we configure a tty line as SLIP.

The PowerNode supports hardware flowcontrol, but you normally don't
need that for SLIP. A 3 wire connection and the line configured for
no-flow and no-modem will do fine.

First add the line to /sys/obj/CONFIGURATION:
    nslip		1

Make and install the new system.
In /etc/rc.local add:

    (/etc/slattach /dev/tty11 19200; /etc/ifconfig sl0 inet yourhost otherhost)&

--
| Ted Lindgreen                                      ted@encore.nl |
| Encore Unix Centre Europe          ...!mcsun!hp4nl!encore.nl!ted |