[comp.sys.encore] strangeness with YP

phil@eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) (10/06/90)

I just made the mistake of activating YP on our multimax running UMAX 4.3.

The multimax is client only, being bound (right now) to a Sun 3/80 master
running 4.0.3.  Before doing this drastic deed, I made sure that all the
stuff that was in /etc/{rpc,services,protocols} was really in the YP maps.

I did NOT add any '+' lines to passwd, preferring to leave all the account
explicitly specified.  Remember: this system worked fine before I ran ypbind.

Now that YP is running, csh exhibits the following bizarre behavior:

% cd
% ls | cat > ~luser/a
cat: read error: Bad file number
%

(where the current user is in fact "luser".

The following does what you would expect:

% cd
% ls | cat > ~/a
%

tcsh 5.12 is showing similar weirdness when it comes to username expansion.
I tried recompiling tcsh and the freshly compiled version has the same
problems.

Any clues?

I am also very annoyed that Encore's "rpcinfo" does not have a "-d" option.
Right now, the only way to turn off YP is to reboot.  If I had a "-d" I could
tell the portmapper to delete the YP mappings, but I don't so I'm pretty much
stuck.   Grrr.......

		William LeFebvre
		Computing Facilities Manager and Analyst
		Northwestern University
		<phil@eecs.nwu.edu>

george@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (George M. Jones) (10/11/90)

   From: phil@eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.encore
   Date: 5 Oct 90 20:58:07 GMT

   Now that YP is running, csh exhibits the following bizarre behavior:

   % cd
   % ls | cat > ~luser/a
   cat: read error: Bad file number
   %

   (where the current user is in fact "luser".

   The following does what you would expect:

   % cd
   % ls | cat > ~/a
   %

   Any clues?

		   William LeFebvre
		   Computing Facilities Manager and Analyst
		   Northwestern University
		   <phil@eecs.nwu.edu>

I'm a little slow in catching up...

I suggest you try a few experiments with getpwnam.  I suspect that
what is happening is something like the [t]csh calling getpwnam, which
happily goes out and does a yp call, and low and behold there is no
user named "luser" in the yp password file, so the routine happily
reports a failure to the shell, but you were able to log in which
means that login(1) probabibly uses an older/ypless version of
getpwnam, so it succeeds in reading from /etc/passwd.

BTW, if anybody has a compiled and working version of a recent tcsh
for Umax 4.3 with YP I'd like to hear about it/get your diffs/ftp a copy.

---George Jones

rackow@ANTARES.MCS.ANL.GOV (10/11/90)

The problem happens with Encore's supplied csh as well as the tcsh that
Bill (or someone) ported.  I have the same problem on our Multimax at Argonne.
I have had yp running for some time, but never tested that situation.  Why
can't encore get it right?
--Gene