[comp.sys.encore] Sending break to outgoing modem connected to Annex

accwai@aftermath.waterloo.edu (Andy Wai) (11/06/90)

We have an outgoing Sytek modem connected to an Annex II which is in
turn connected to an RC6280.  We intend to use the modem to talk to
various printers connected to the campus Sytek network.  To do the
callout, we must get the Sytek box into command mode.  There are two
ways to do that: send a predefined two character sequence or send a
break.  Since we have to be able to send arbitrary data down the line,
the break method has to be used.

We have a program that opens up a tty line, send a break and the call
sequence, send down everything on stdin, and then send another break
and issue the command to terminate the connection.  This works with a
real terminal device.  However, it doesn't work with the pseudo device
created by rtelnet since the break is issued through a TIOCSBRK ioctl
and rtelnet has no way of recognizing that.

Is there any way around this problem?  Do we have to talk telnet with
the Annex port directly?  If so, is there a quick-and-dirty telnet
protocol layer anywhere I can use?  Thanks in advance.

Andy Wai

loverso@westford.ccur.com (John Robert LoVerso) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov5.193648.4523@aftermath.waterloo.edu> accwai@aftermath.waterloo.edu (Andy Wai) writes:
> Is there any way around this problem?  Do we have to talk telnet with
> the Annex port directly?  If so, is there a quick-and-dirty telnet
> protocol layer anywhere I can use?  Thanks in advance.

I do not believe there are any standard means for the pty driver to pass
on a TIOCSBRK.  It might be possible to add something to return an indication
in TIOCPKT mode; that depends on having kernel sources.

On the other hand, a quick-and-dirty telnet can be gotten from rtelnet.c,
which in turn is derived from an older BSD telnetd.c.

John
--
John Robert LoVerso, Concurrent Computer Corp, loverso@westford.ccur.com
[to reach me, not the corporate puppet: john@loverso.leom.ma.us]