[comp.sys.encore] can't get uucp to work with Xylogics Annex II

gamiddle@maytag.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) (11/16/90)

Does anybody use uucp through an Annex II?  I can't get ours to work (on a MIPS
machine, but it won't work on Suns or BSD Vaxes either).  We're using rtelnet,
and making incoming calls; I haven't tried outgoing yet.

Has anybody got this to work?  Will I have to use CLI instead of rtelnet?

If you do have this working, what Annex port settings are you using?

Is there some specific way the modem has to be set up?  We're using a Telebit
T2500.

The symptom we see most often is that the conversation hangs and eventually
times out, leaving a message like "PKCGET READ  (-1) [FILE: pk1.c, LINE: 432]"
in the log file.

 -Guy Middleton, University of Waterloo		gamiddleton@watmath.waterloo.edu
		(+1 519 885 1211 x3472)		gamiddleton@watmath.uwaterloo.ca

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (11/16/90)

In a recent article gamiddle@maytag.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) writes:

>Does anybody use uucp through an Annex II?

Sure, since '86-87 or so.

>I can't get ours to work (on a MIPS machine, but it won't work on
>Suns or BSD Vaxes either).  We're using rtelnet,
>and making incoming calls; I haven't tried outgoing yet.

You mean that you're running a getty over a rtelnet pty?

>Has anybody got this to work?  Will I have to use CLI instead of rtelnet?

We use CLI's and bidirectional ports here. But I've tried the
rtelnet setup, and it works just as well.

>If you do have this working, what Annex port settings are you using?

The calling site has to disable s/w flow control before rlogin'ing into
the uucp host. This is how it looks in remote sites Systems (or L.sys)
entries for us:

... nnex: stty\siflow\snone\soflow\snone nnex: rlogin uucphost ...

>Is there some specific way the modem has to be set up?  We're using a Telebit
>T2500.

For bidirectional ports, like our setup, make sure that the modem isn't
sending anything back to the Annex CLI. In other words, disable echo
and enable quiet mode.

>The symptom we see most often is that the conversation hangs and eventually
>times out, leaving a message like "PKCGET READ  (-1) [FILE: pk1.c, LINE: 432]"
>in the log file.

Sounds like a) s/w flow control is enabled or b) data is being corrupted.
Do you really start rtelnet using the -b (for binary) flag?

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se