[comp.sys.encore] Questions regarding: Mach Release 1.0 for the Multimax

phil@eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) (02/15/91)

I have ouestions regarding Encore Mach 1.0

In article <14033@encore.Encore.COM>, boykin@encore.com (Joseph Boykin) writes:
|> Encore Mach version 1.0 is now shipping from Encore.  All existing
|> customers with support will automatically receive an update tape
|> in the near future....

Support???  What type of support?  Do you mean Mach software support?

|> Mach version 1.0 is based on the version 2.5 Mach kernel from
|> CMU and the 4.3BSD-tahoe utilities....

Which format does it use for object files and executables?  I'm not
familiar enough with Mach and Tahoe to answer that on my own.  I hope
the answer is not "COFF".

We currently are running UMAX 4.0 (the BSD look-alike) on our Multimax.
I am thinking that it might be worthwile to switch to Mach.  Anyone
have any thoughts on that idea?  Does anyone have an idea how much it
would cost to switch?  (Maybe I should ask my salesman).

Any other thoughts on this would be appreciated.

		William LeFebvre
		Computing Facilities Manager and Analyst
		Northwestern University
		<phil@eecs.nwu.edu>

boykin@encore.com (Joseph Boykin) (02/18/91)

In article <3507@casbah.acns.nwu.edu>, phil@eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
|> I have ouestions regarding Encore Mach 1.0

|> Support???  What type of support?  Do you mean Mach software support?

Yes.

|> Which format does it use for object files and executables?  I'm not
|> familiar enough with Mach and Tahoe to answer that on my own.  I hope
|> the answer is not "COFF".

The answer is definately COFF since that is what all of Encore's compilers
and linkers for the Multimax use.

|> We currently are running UMAX 4.0 (the BSD look-alike) on our Multimax.
|> I am thinking that it might be worthwile to switch to Mach.  Anyone
|> have any thoughts on that idea?

Yes, but my opinion is probably biased!

|> Does anyone have an idea how much it would cost to switch?

$1,000 for Mach.
$4,000 for NFS.

----

Joseph Boykin
Manager, Mach OS Development
Encore Computer Corp
Treasurer, IEEE Computer Society

Internet: boykin@encore.com
Phone: 508-460-0500 x2720

phil@eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) (02/19/91)

In article <14083@encore.Encore.COM>, boykin@encore.com (Joseph Boykin) writes:

|> The answer is definately COFF since that is what all of Encore's compilers
|> and linkers for the Multimax use.

Hmpph!

|> $1,000 for Mach.
|> $4,000 for NFS.

I find that pricing structure quite odd.

We already have the "NFS option" for Umax 4.0.  Would we still have to
pay this additional $4000 for NFS under Mach?

boykin@encore.com (Joseph Boykin) (02/19/91)

In article <3649@casbah.acns.nwu.edu>, phil@eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
> [...]

I sent a reply to the author last week, but meant to do a followup
so the rest of the group could see it.

|> Hmpph!

Why would you care what object file format we use?  Unless you have
another machine with the same instruction set (unlikely on an NS32K based
system!) with a different object file format, what's the difference?

|> I find that pricing structure quite odd.

Why?

|> We already have the "NFS option" for Umax 4.0.  Would we still have to
|> pay this additional $4000 for NFS under Mach?

Most of the reason for this has to do with SUN, not Encore.
SUN is requiring us to pay royalties for NFS under Mach.  That royalty
can be measured in thousands of dollars given a bunch of different factors.

Regardless, this is a different product, just because someone buys NFS
for Umax there doesn't seem to be alot of reasoning behind giving NFS
for Mach for free.  It cost us to develop it, it costs us to maintain
it and it costs (big time) for royalties.  If we didn't have to pay
another royalty to SUN, than the price should be less for those with
NFS for Umax, but that isn't the case.

----

Joseph Boykin
Manager, Mach OS Development
Encore Computer Corp
Treasurer, IEEE Computer Society

Internet: boykin@encore.com
Phone: 508-460-0500 x2720

phil@eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) (02/20/91)

To help sort this out:

In article <14091@encore.Encore.COM>, boykin@encore.com (Joseph Boykin) writes:

|> Why would you care what object file format we use?  Unless you have
|> another machine with the same instruction set (unlikely on an NS32K based
|> system!) with a different object file format, what's the difference?

Kyoto Common Lisp cares.  gcc cares.  gdb cares.  And there are other
commonly used items of free software that like to have the Berkeley(?)
a.out format.  These may eventually be modified to cope with COFF
(some already have), but in the meantime my job is harder.

I wouldn't care quite so much, except that I have yet to find a decent
debugger for UMAX.  We have cdb and I don't see it as "decent".  There
is no dbx equivalent, and even if we had the source to dbx we couldn't
use it because, well, because it doesn't understand COFF.

|> Why?
|> Most of the reason for this has to do with SUN, not Encore.
|> SUN is requiring us to pay royalties for NFS under Mach.  That royalty
|> can be measured in thousands of dollars given a bunch of different factors.

A HA!  That explains it.  I had forgotten about the royalties.

I found it odd that a package could cost 4 times as much as something
that is substantially larger (and must be much more complicated) than
itself.

|> Regardless, this is a different product, just because someone buys NFS
|> for Umax there doesn't seem to be alot of reasoning behind giving NFS
|> for Mach for free.

I didn't say there was.  I was just asking.

|> If we didn't have to pay
|> another royalty to SUN, than the price should be less for those with
|> NFS for Umax, but that isn't the case.

And that is, likely, the crux of the matter.

randy@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Longshot) (02/20/91)

boykin@encore.com (Joseph Boykin) writes:

>|> Hmpph!

>Why would you care what object file format we use?  Unless you have
>another machine with the same instruction set (unlikely on an NS32K based
>system!) with a different object file format, what's the difference?

Well, there is some development software, particularly GNU tools, that does
not work well with COFF (some not at all). Since, to my knowledge, you
(Encore) do not have an ANSI-compliant C compiler or any C++ compiler at all,
we on the user-end must use these third-party tools. The g++ program cannot
handle COFF at all; you must use an additional utilitie that makes source-level
debugging nearly impossible by munging many of the symbols in the table. But
all this aside, the problem is not so much that COFF is used, but that the
COFF used on Encore systems does not gel with the COFF patches given to adapt
g++. The patches work with other COFF systems, but not Encore.

--
Randy J. Ray       University of Oklahoma, Norman Campus	(405)/325-5370
!chinet!uokmax!randy	randy@uokmax.uucp    randy@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

boykin@encore.com (Joseph Boykin) (02/21/91)

In article <3713@casbah.acns.nwu.edu>, phil@eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:

|> Kyoto Common Lisp cares.  gcc cares.  gdb cares.

Several people pointed out via both email and news about public domain
tools.  The reason I didn't comment about them was because several
people have ported those tools to Mach in the past.  Some releases
are harder to port than others (the guy here who tried to port the
latest g++ never finished it), but the release before that was
a relatively small effort.  Gdb has been ported to Mach by several
groups, including CMU (I think CMU will provide you with a multi-threaded
version of GDB).

I acknowledge that this may be a problem, but so far, there haven't
been too many problems porting things to Mach.  Note that we don't
do very much different with COFF than e.g. Umax4, so I'm not sure
why there is a problem there either.  In either case, news isn't
the forum for discussing the problem.

|> $1,000 for Mach.
|> $4,000 for NFS.

|> Most of the reason for this has to do with SUN, not Encore.
|> SUN is requiring us to pay royalties for NFS under Mach.  That royalty
|> can be measured in thousands of dollars given a bunch of different factors.

Sorry if I sounded "testy" about this one, but you're right,
paying that much for royalties doesn't make me happy either.
So much for "open systems" from SUN!

----

phil@eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) (02/21/91)

In article <14103@encore.Encore.COM>, boykin@encore.com (Joseph Boykin) writes:
|> So much for "open systems" from SUN!

You know the old saying:  "Open systems for open wallets!"

meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) (02/21/91)

writes:

| |> Kyoto Common Lisp cares.  gcc cares.  gdb cares.
|
| Several people pointed out via both email and news about public domain
| tools.  The reason I didn't comment about them was because several
| people have ported those tools to Mach in the past.  Some releases
| are harder to port than others (the guy here who tried to port the
| latest g++ never finished it), but the release before that was
| a relatively small effort.  Gdb has been ported to Mach by several
| groups, including CMU (I think CMU will provide you with a multi-threaded
| version of GDB).

GCC itself has no problems with COFF.

| I acknowledge that this may be a problem, but so far, there haven't
| been too many problems porting things to Mach.  Note that we don't
| do very much different with COFF than e.g. Umax4, so I'm not sure
| why there is a problem there either.  In either case, news isn't
| the forum for discussing the problem.

The main problem with COFF is in the debugging support.  Off of the
top of my head, the problems are:

    1)	You cannot have code in include files (each object module can
	only have one .file directive) -- parser generators in
	particular get bitten by this, since they use #line directives
	to switch between the parser skeleton file, and the .y file
	containing the user's actions;

    2)	You cannot debug inline functions, even if they come from the
	same source file, since line numbers must be >= to the first
	line number inside of a function;

    3)	Standard COFF has no means of handling void, void *, const,
	volatile, or long double types;

    4)	Forward references to structure tags cause some problems, and
	references to completely unknown tags cause even more
	problems;

    5)	No support for more than 6 levels of *, (), or [] for a given
	declaration;

    6)	No support for nested functions, ala PASCAL.
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner@osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Considering the flames and intolerance, shouldn't USENET be spelled ABUSENET?