[comp.sys.transputer] Software environments for transputer based systems

sid@linus.UUCP (Sid Stuart) (10/21/87)

	I am looking for information on software available for the transputer.

		1. Is there an ada (yeech) compiler for transputers.

		2. I need to know about debugging environments
		available. I have read a little about the Occam envirionment,
		but I don't know what you can do with it.

		What I would like is the ability to write and debug C
		programs easily. To do that I need:

			A. A C callable library that support communications
			between transputers.

			B. Some way of doing step by step debugging
			on a multitransputer system, either at the
			source code level (hope, hope) or at the
			assembler level.

	I will compile and submit any information I recieve back to the
net, so save those requests for whatever I get.

Thanks,

sid

linus!sid
sid@linus.b.mitre.org

andy@batcomputer.UUCP (10/22/87)

In article <15750@linus.UUCP> sid@zippy.UUCP (Sid Stuart) writes:
>I am looking for information on software available for the transputer.
>
>		2. I need to know about debugging environments
>		available. I have read a little about the Occam envirionment,
>		but I don't know what you can do with it.

When some folks from Los Alamos visited us (they have an FPS T-200) earlier
this year, they mentioned that they had a minimal symbolic debugger for
Occam up and running.

>			A. A C callable library that support communications
>			between transputers.

Trillium (if we ever get it out the door!) will give you exactly that.
Our cross-compiler environment is based on the C compiler/assembler/linker
from Penguin (soon to be Pentasoft) Software tools.  Mail to:
dwight@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu should eventually make it to him.
Our OS gives full dynamic message passing capability, inter- and intra-
node.

>			B. Some way of doing step by step debugging
>			on a multitransputer system, either at the
>			source code level (hope, hope) or at the
>			assembler level.

Although we don't use it much anymore, "tsim", our transputer instruction-set
simulator was used primarily for single step debugging.  Its a real handy
tool when working with bizarre hardware.  There is also a low-priority
project starting to get underway in another segment of the Theory Center
to build a simple source level debugger -- breakpoints, stack trace back,
etc. and would work under Trillium.  I honestly haven't heard much more
about it, though...

>sid@linus.b.mitre.org

	Andy Pfiffer

--
Andy Pfiffer					andy@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
Cornell Theory Center / Cornell U.		cornell!batcomputer!andy