[comp.sys.transputer] At last...

ccplumb@watmath.waterloo.edu (Colin Plumb) (01/29/88)

A *very* long time ago I promised to post a description of the
transputer's assembly language I wrote.

Brilliantly, I lost my only copy.

I have since got a new copy and have spent some hours bashing it into
shape.  I'll post it in a matter of days.

Problem:  It contains a typo which I can't fix from memory.  I know
that ldc and ldnl have opcodes 0x3_ and 0x4_, but *in which order*?
It's not likely to matter, but I'd like to have a correct opcode list.

If someone could mail me the answer, I can fix it up and post.

Thank you very much.  Sorry to be silent for so long.

P.S. Many, many people requested the doc.  I am assuming that most can
get it out of this newsgroup.  Two took a long time to arrive at my
site, and I am assuming this reflects irregular news connections, so I
am mailing copies to:

Mats Aspnas <ASPNASM@FINABO.bitnet>
Roger Hacking <rha@oce.nl>

If anyone else needs direct mail (e.g can't handle a 47.5 K posting),
please send me a request.
--
	-Colin (watmath!ccplumb)

Zippy says:
An air of FRENCH FRIES permeates my nostrils!!

anc@camcon.uucp (Adrian Cockcroft) (02/05/88)

In article <16602@watmath.waterloo.edu>, ccplumb@watmath.waterloo.edu (Colin Plumb) writes:
> A *very* long time ago I promised to post a description of the
> transputer's assembly language I wrote.

Inmos publish two documents that give this information:

The preliminary datasheet for the IMS T800 transputer ref 42 1082 00
gives the full set of op codes with mnemonics e.g.

Function Code  Memory Code  Mnemonic Cycles Name
        3        3X             ldnl   2    load non-local
        4        4X             ldc    1    load constant

The transputer instruction set - a compiler writers' guide ref 72 TRN 119 02
gives details of the instruction set. e.g.

ldc #4_  load constant
Areg' = Oreg
Breg' = Areg
Creg' = Breg
Oreg = 0
Iptr' = NextInst

The second of these should be essential reading for anyone working with
transputers.

Inmos UK is on (0454) 616616
Inmos USA is on (303) 630 4000

BTW I have written some occam libraries for the standalone occam
compiler (not the TDS) that provide an interface similar to the C
stdio calls (including printf!). Would anyone like me to post the source?
It is several hundred lines of occam. I also have a mandelbrot program
that runs on a single transputer and uses the stdio.occ library to
write the result to a file.

--
  |   Adrian Cockcroft anc@camcon.uucp  ..!seismo!mcvax!ukc!camcon!anc
-[T]- Cambridge Consultants Ltd, Science Park, Cambridge CB4 4DW,
  |   England, UK                                        (0223) 358855
      (You are in a maze of twisty little C004's, all alike...)