[comp.sys.transputer] T800 & T414 compatability?

john@bby-bc.UUCP (john) (06/17/88)

I'd like some help with some (perhaps naive) questions.

Can a T414 be replaced by a T800 of the same clock speed with no
other hardware alteration?

As I remember it (please correct me if wrong) the transputer
chips take a fixed frequency clock input (5mhz?) regardless
of their operating speed - so is it possible to replace say a
15mhz part with a 20mhz part with no other changes (and get
the expected performance increase out of the faster part)?
What about the timing for external memory?

What are reasonable going prices for 15 & 20 mhz T800 and T414
chips?

thanks in advance,
		  john

 ....!fornax!bby-bc!john
 ....!fornax!sfu_cmpt!chapman

darel@maccs.McMaster.CA (Darel Mesher) (07/07/88)

The Computer Science and Systems department of McMaster University
has been using an original IMS B004 evaluation board in an AT host
as part of a graduate course covering advanced architectures.  The
board was purchased late in 1985 when a similar T800 system was not
available to us.  Well, times have changed, and like everyone else
I always keep my ear to the ground for ways to get older equipment
to go faster. :-)

Early last week we had the pleasure of a visit from Laurence Pegrum
of the Central Applications Group of inmos UK.  Laurie was visiting
several sites in the Toronto area to distribute and demonstrate
the latest release of the OCCAM development system and the revised
folding editor (very slick).  After the demonstration was over I
took the opportunity to ask several questions that echo John's
questions:

In article <289@bby-bc.UUCP> john@bby-bc.UUCP (john) writes:

>Can a T414 be replaced by a T800 of the same clock speed with no
>other hardware alteration?

I was informed that a 20 MHz floating-point T800 will (pin-for
-pin) replace a 20 MHz T414. Since the IMS B004 that we have
is based on a 15MHz T414, my next question was:

> ... is it possible to replace say a
>15mhz part with a 20mhz part with no other changes (and get
>the expected performance increase out of the faster part)?

Laurie smiled and said: 'No... unfortunately a 20 MHz T800
CAN NOT run at 15 MHz' :-( At this point our local inmos
suppliers mentioned a complete set of internal documentation
for hardware modification to the IMS B004 board to allow the
swapping of the 15 MHz T414 with a 20 MHz T800. The
modification apparently involves cutting several traces and
adding jumpers; because, as John pointed out, not only does
the CPU speed have to be increased but the original memory speed
must be preserved.  These modification notes are not in my hand
yet (the entourage has several sites to visit before the supplier
will be returning to his office) but if there is enough interest
I will post a summary of the procedure to the net, then you
can decide whether the task will exceed your technical abilities.

>What are reasonable going prices for 15 & 20 mhz T800 and T414
>chips?

The Toronto distributor seemed to think (off the top of his head)
that a 20 MHz T800 sells for approximately CAN$500 but was unsure
of educational prices.  But if everything goes as planned John,
you might be able buy a slightly used 15 MHz T414 cheap! :-)

Finally, the IMS B004 board, altered as described should see a
performance improvement of somewhere between 5 and 10 times
depending on the application....well worth a little cutting
and soldering.  :-)

 Darel.

--
Darel Mesher				...!uunet!mnetor!maccs!darel
McMaster University			    darel@maccs.mcmaster.ca