[comp.sys.transputer] parity on b004

HELLER%dgatum5p.earn@nss.cs.ucl.ac.UK (07/19/88)

Date: 18-JUL-1988 13:34:42.89
>From: HELLER AT DGATUM5P
To:   @TRANSPUTER,HELLER
Subj: parity on b004
Hello everybody!

Has anybody any experience with the IMS B004 paritycheck? When I run the
ramtest program from INMOS, everything seems to be ok. But the trouble starts
when executing my user-program (a pure occamII program with nothing special in
it), which monitors parity, too: parity becomes set at random times, sometimes
only a few seconds after programstart. Errorlocation bank3, byte1 is displayed
often. Is there a bug in the hard- or software (initialisation?) or is my RAM
really damaged?

Thanks
Helmut Heller

you%cavax3.cis.canon.junet@NSS.CS.UCL.AC.UK (07/20/88)

>Is there a bug in the hard- or software (initialisation?) or is my RAM
>really damaged?

 I have two b004 boards. One board had a hardware bug.
It sometimes stopped after a few minutes from turning on IBM-PC. But
it worked quite OK when it was cooled by a fan.
In that time, I didn't have enough time to repair it via INMOS. Also,
from JAPAN, it took more than two months to repair it! Then I repaired it
by myself and found that length of a pin of a DRAM socket was too short to be
soldered!

 I don't know about your case, but you'd better ask INMOS Ltd. to check
or repair your board.

				Toyokazu Uda (you%canon@kddlabs.junet)
				Information Systems Research Centre
				Canon Inc. Tokyo Japan

myke@STRATUS.GATECH.EDU (Myke Reynolds) (07/24/88)

Someone PLEASE take me off this mailing list!