[comp.sys.transputer] Transputer Development Systems

hjm@cernvax.UUCP (hjm) (07/01/88)

I'm intending to purchase a Transputer development system in the not too distant
future, and I would appreciate the advice of those who are already in the field.

What I require is a PC or AT add-on board, an occam-2 compiler, a C compiler and
an assembler.  The board need only have one T4 on it, but with a reasonable
amount of memory (1 MB would be nice).

Does anyone have any recommendations for or against any particular products?
There seem to be about 6 C compilers available from: Pentasoft, INMOS, Renishaw,
3L, Parsec and Norcroft.  Again, comments?

Thanks,

Hubert Matthews

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (08/29/88)

In article <8808261949.AA00805@uk.ac.ox.prg> PVR%bgerug51.earn@NSS.CS.UCL.AC.UK (Patrick Van Renterghem / Transputer Lab) writes:
>Dear mailing list,
>
>I am writing a paper for the "largest transputer event on the continent".
>There is a small section on development systems and I don't want it to
>contain wrong information. So, I have posted it to the net and am awaiting
>replies from you. If anything is untrue or missing let me know.

>         Not many people  are
>         using  the  other  languages,  such as  ML  (Lisp  dialect  from
>         Edinburgh,  transputer implementation by Jon  Kerridge,  contact
>         ml@lfcs.ed.ac.uk),  Prolog (Microway),  ... so they are probably
>         still full of bugs.

For the record, I did the Transputer ML port, with some assistance
from people at 3L. ML is *not* a Lisp dialect, it's a statically-scoped
polymorphic language used for (amongst other things) theorem proving
and logic systems, and large-scale software prototyping.
   And why the implication that not much usage -> full of bugs?
Transputer people seem to be mostly interested in number crunching
applications and Mandlebrot programs, hence the Occam and FORTRAN. C
is universal, hence C compilers. ML isn't a number crunching language,
so there isn't necessarily the same appeal to transputer costumers.
Even so, I've received a large number of requests for all over the
world for our ML system. If our ML were "full of bugs", then we
wouldn't be sending out several systems a week, would we?
   I did the transputer port as an exercise to see how fast the
transputer was at running a complex, conventional, C program (the
abstract code interpreter). It means that people with PC's and
transputer boards can have our ML system (a bare PC is too brain-dead
to run something as big as ML).

This is the text of our announcement about the ML release for Transputers.

	Standard ML for Transputer Systems
	~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are now distributing a version of the Edinburgh ML system which will run on
a transputer board. The distribution consists of the source code of the ML
interpreter (written in C), and an image of the ML compiler for the interpreter
to run.
   The transputer ML system is simply our standard ML release ported to
3L's C compiler for the transputer. The ML system runs as a stand-alone
application on a single transputer, and doesn't make use of the transputer's
multi-tasking or networking capabilities. It requires the afserver program to
provide terminal I/O and file access facilities. To run serious ML applications,
the transputer should have access to at least 2Mbytes of memory.
   Currently, we cannot distribute the system as a transputer object binary
on 5" disks, although this situation may change in the next month or two.
We send out the ML kit (ML image plus interpreter sources) either on 1600bpi
magtape or 1/4" tape cartridge. You will need 3L's C compiler, plus some means
of transferring files to an IBM PC, to build the system.
   Our charge for the distribution is 50 pounds sterling, to cover
administration and media/postage costs. In addition, we ask that you fill
in and return a licence form, so that we can keep records of the sites running
ML and the work being done with the distribution. This is to avoid any wasted
or duplicated effort if any clients want to modify the system for their
particular environment.
   We will be looking into the possibility of providing the interpreter as a
transputer binary file (so that you don't need 3L's C compiler, just the
afserver, which is Public Domain), and of providing the distribution on native
media (so that you don't need to be able to read magtapes or cartridges).

--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick