[comp.sys.transputer] sip-modules

HELLER%dgatum5p.earn@NSS.CS.UCL.AC.UK (09/06/88)

Date:  5-SEP-1988 19:38:51.09
>From: HELLER AT DGATUM5P
To:   @TRANSPUTER,HELLER
Subj: sip-modules
Who can help?
We are currently building our own transputer hardware:
T800 + 1MB DRAM each.
... and the DRAM is the problem! We need SIP-Memory modules
256Kb x 9 with 100ns or
1Mb x 9 with 100ns
Is there anybody in the net, who has access to those modules or who
knows a good adress to get them from?
Thanks a lot,    Helmut.

andrew@isdg.cs.hull.ac.UK (Andrew Stewart) (09/06/88)

>... and the DRAM is the problem! We need SIP-Memory modules
>256Kb x 9 with 100ns or
>1Mb x 9 with 100ns

I'm afraid the answer is "keep looking" - I've just finished building a
board and I found the memory situation hopeless - all the suppliers have
quotas to their big customers, and if you don't want 10,000 you just have
to wait... and wait... and wait...

If you're building a prototype, I suggest you go for 120ns or 150ns
memories; if you need the speed, I'm afraid you have problems.

Andrew Stewart

PS: If anyone knows of a source for 100ns/120ns 1Mbit memories, please tell
me as well!

harker@parns.nsc.COM (09/15/88)

A source of 80 ns 256Kb x 9 sims might be some sun users with the new
sun4/110 workstations.  It turns out that Sun ships them with 8 Mb of
256K SIMMs.  This fills all of the SIMM slots on the CPU board.  If a
Sun4/110 user wants to add any more memory they first have to remove 4
Mb of 256K SIMMs.  If they buy thier memory from a third party (cheeper
and faster) then they are left with 4 Mb of 256K SIMMs

It might be worth a try

Robert Harker, All around good guy.
NSCIBM:	par(harker)
DECnet:	cda::harker
UNIX:	harker@cda.nsc.com
	{sun,decwrl,hplabs}!nsc!cda!harker

PS. your might also just want to just go out an buy sun3/60 memory
it is 1 Mb x 9, 100 ns, $500 per Mb, and it should be avialble anywhere