[net.micro] ansi.sys file

djm@ariel.UUCP (D.MORGAN) (09/23/85)

I recently purchased SuperKey by Borderland International for my
IBM XT. The instructions state that I must the install the ansi.sys
driver into my config.sys file. The problem is that I can not find
the ansi.sys file anywhere. It did not come with SuperKey and it is
no where to be found on my hard disk. I need to know how to get or
create ansi.sys.

Tom Morgan
ariel!djm

glen@intelca.UUCP (Glen Shires) (09/24/85)

> *** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
> I recently purchased SuperKey by Borderland International for my
> IBM XT. The instructions state that I must the install the ansi.sys
> driver into my config.sys file. The problem is that I can not find
> the ansi.sys file anywhere. It did not come with SuperKey and it is
It's on your DOS [supplemental] disk.

--
^ ^    Glen Shires, Intel, Santa Clara, Ca.
O O     Usenet: {ucbvax!amd,pur-ee,hplabs}!intelca!glen
 >      ARPA:   "amd!intelca!glen"@BERKELEY
\-/    --- stay mellow

rje@cae780.UUCP (Bob Evans) (09/25/85)

In article <1012@ariel.UUCP>, djm@ariel.UUCP (D.MORGAN) writes:
> *** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
> I recently purchased SuperKey by Borderland International for my
> IBM XT. The instructions state that I must the install the ansi.sys
> driver into my config.sys file. The problem is that I can not find
> the ansi.sys file anywhere. It did not come with SuperKey and it is
> no where to be found on my hard disk. I need to know how to get or
> create ansi.sys.

It is assumed by Borlund that EVERYONE reads the ENTIRE DOS manual
and KNOWS it ALL ( ;-) ), Chapter 4 explains ANSI.SYS and the
CONFIG.SYS file.

rje@cae780.UUCP (Bob Evans) (09/25/85)

I responded too quickly to your questions - Yes, chapter 4 of the
DOS 3.0 manual will explain how to add the line
 DEVICE=ANSI.SYS
to your config.sys file. Unfortunately, the ANSI.SYS features are
explained in the DOS Technical Reference Manual which is a separately
purchased item starting with DOS 3.0 - if you have a DOS 2.0 manual it
will explain the ANSI.SYS driver.

As to where the ANSI.SYS file is - it is normally found on the DOS
floppy diskette that is in the back of the DOS manual.

FROM:   Robert J. Evans, CAE Systems Division of Tektronix, Inc.
UUCP:   tektronix!teklds!cae780!rje
	{ihnp4, decvax!decwrl}!amdcad!cae780!rje
        {nsc, hplabs, resonex, qubix, leadsv}!cae780!rje
USNAIL: 1333 Bordeaux Drive, Sunnyvale, CA  94089 [until we move ... soon]
AT&T:   (408)745-1440 [until we move .. soon]

dan@gumby.UUCP (09/26/85)

> I recently purchased SuperKey by Borderland International for my
> IBM XT. The instructions state that I must the install the ansi.sys
> driver into my config.sys file. The problem is that I can not find
> the ansi.sys file anywhere. It did not come with SuperKey and it is
> no where to be found on my hard disk. I need to know how to get or
> create ansi.sys.

ansi.sys should be on one of your dos distribution floppies.  Copy
it onto your hard disk, say in your root directory, then put the
following line in your config.sys file (you do have one, don't you?
if you don't you should - you need the extra buffers for hard disk
performance!):

   DEVICE=ANSI.SYS

If you don't have a config.sys file, get into your root directory,
then type:

   COPY CON CONFIG.SYS
   BUFFERS=20
   DEVICE=ANSI.SYS
   <F6>

The <F6> means function key 6, which should put a ^Z (end-of-file
character) on the input line.  Type return after that, and you
should have a prompt back, and a config.sys file.

ejb@think.ARPA (Erik Bailey) (09/26/85)

In article <1012@ariel.UUCP> djm@ariel.UUCP (D.MORGAN) writes:
>*** DO NOT REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
>I recently purchased SuperKey by Borderland International for my
>IBM XT. The instructions state that I must the install the ansi.sys
>driver into my config.sys file. The problem is that I can not find
>the ansi.sys file anywhere. It did not come with SuperKey and it is
>no where to be found on my hard disk. I need to know how to get or
>create ansi.sys.
>
>Tom Morgan
>ariel!djm

The ANSI.SYS device driver (that's what it is) should have come on you
DOS disk. Check your original, if it is NOT there, than call the
manufacturer of your computer.

ANSI.SYS is a screen-driver program that enables IBMPCs to interpret
somewhat ANSI-standard codes for screen control. You can control screen
colors, cursor positioning, and even keyboard redefinition (although it
is a royal pain in the as*).

The file should be placed in your CONFIG.SYS (create one if you don't
have it), in a line like this:

DEVICE = ANSI.SYS<cr>

***NOTE*** You MUST type the <cr> (return) BEFORE hitting CTL-Z to end
thye file. Failure to do this will result in a strange error @ bootup:

Bad or missing ANSI.SYSSI.SYS (or something like that)

Your DOS manual should have data on how to do screen control. GOOD LUCK!

--Erik

brown@nicmad.UUCP (09/26/85)

In article <1012@ariel.UUCP> djm@ariel.UUCP (D.MORGAN) writes:
>I recently purchased SuperKey by Borderland International for my
>IBM XT. The instructions state that I must the install the ansi.sys
>driver into my config.sys file. The problem is that I can not find
>the ansi.sys file anywhere. It did not come with SuperKey and it is
>no where to be found on my hard disk. I need to know how to get or
>create ansi.sys.

Try pulling out your original DOS diskette and copying ANSI.SYS to your
hard disk.  It probably isn't on your hard disk because you didn't copy it
over.  A good idea is to create a sub-directory called DOSx-x0 (replace
the x-x with 2-0 or 2-1 or 3-0 or 3-1).  Then copy both of your DOS diskettes
into that sub-directory.  Then add the following path to your AUTOEXEC.BAT
file:  d:\DOSx-x0

If you do the above, you will need to remove all of the DOS stuff from your
root directory.  Putting your DOS stuff into its own directory just makes
your hard disk a little bit cleaner looking.

If you don't have a path installed into your AUTOEXEC.BAT file, then add this:
PATH d:\;d:\DOSx-x0

Of course, replace the d: with your hard disk drive letter, normally C:

In your CONFIG.SYS file you will need the following line:
DEVICE=d:\DOSx-x0\ANSI.SYS

The CONFIG.SYS file is placed in the root directory of your boot hard disk.
--

Mr. Video   {seismo!uwvax!|!decvax|!ihnp4}!nicmad!brown

Wax.OsbuSouth@XEROX.ARPA (09/26/85)

The file should have come on your system floppy when you bought the machine.
Check your MASTER disks for it.  To install, simply add the line
DEVICE = ANSI.SYS<return>
to your CONFIG.SYS file.

Note that the <return> is necessary in the file because of a bug in some DOS's.
The <return> is only neccessary if it is the last line of the file.

Other suggested additions to your CONFIG.SYS file:
	BUFFERS = 16		Should speed up disk access on a winchester
	BREAK = ON			Will recognise CTRL-C faster ususally

All of this is documented.  I thought it may help you.

Allan Wax
Wax.osbuSouth@Xerox.ARPA