[comp.sys.transputer] Mainly on disc bottlenecks

ADRIAN@vax.oxford.ac.uk (11/24/88)

And a comment on long links.

>Subj:	Any ideas on fast disk access?

>Date: 		21-NOV-1988 10:12:20 GMT 00:00
>From: MJP@uk.ac.roe.vaxb
>To: TRANSPUTER@uk.ac.oxford.prg

Just a couple of points that may be of interest:

1) We have been running a transputer link over a complete reel of 90 ohm coax
for a couple of years, and have never seen an error. If I remember, the total
length is 100 metres. It is driven with TTL levels, and is properly terminated.
It is 10 Mbit/sec, using old C003 chips. I don't think they overlap acknowledge,
and we have done no proper measurment of thoughput. But I see no reason why
one can't extend this approach to longer lengths. Eventually propagation
delay will start to reduce thoughput a little, and at some stage losses or
even dispersion might mess things up, but I should think that one might
get away with at least 1 km. The only potential problem at 20 Mbits/sec
might be controlling skew in the drivers: we actually used parallel F244s
(if I remember correctly), but would have used single F3037, 3038, 30244s
(etc), which can drive 30ohms to TTL levels. These latter chips are
available now, but weren't around when I designed the interface.

2) I will be designing a NETBUS board with 6 M212s (or 3 M212s and 3 T2s). This
is intended to address the disc bottleneck. The M212s will have their own
hard discs (=disks if you are in USA!): the T2s will have their own private
SCSI buses. Surely the best approach is simply to go parallel, and have a disc
farm? If at some stage you need to interface to a sequential dinosaur, you
can always squirt the reconstitued data down it's throat subsequently.
This is the approach that we will be using for handling our real time
image data. Each disc can be simple, cheap relatively low performance. We
just replicate the card and racks of discs until we obtain the required
throughput. And of course we can record the data twice on different discs
for security at run time with little extra effort. There are obviously many
ways of distributing the data across the discs...
If you used the new erasable exchangable optical discs (Maxtor?) which store
(if I  remember correctly) 1Gbyte, have 28ms track-to-track access and cost
at the premium introductory price of (I think) around #(pounds)6K, then your
data size would be no problem.

Just a suggestion.

					Adrian Lawrence
ADRIAN @ UK.AC.OXFORD.VAX	Microprocessor Unit, Oxford University,
				13,Banbury Road, Oxford, Oxon. OX2 6NN. UK.
EARN/Bitnet:		ADRIAN%UK.AC.OXFORD.VAX@AC.UK
			{EARN node UKACRL}

ARPA:			ADRIAN%VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK

ACSnet:			adrian@vax.oxford.ac.uk@au.oz.munnari