[comp.sys.transputer] Transputer Benchmarks

jevans@.ucalgary.ca (David Jevans) (11/21/88)

Several articles have compared the Transputer to 68000s
(SUN 3s) and VAX 780s.  I had got similar results when
testing some T800s with a beta C compiler (the developer
of which shall remain nameless).  Needless to say I was
less than impressed.  About 2 months ago I got ahold of
another demo board and a Logical Systems C compiler
(from CSA).  My ray tracer, which is very cpu and
floating point intensive, ran 25 times faster than
with the other vendors C compiler.  The execution
time was equal to that of a SUN 4!

This just goes to show you that while hardware may be
the same, the compiler can make all the difference.
I would reccommend potential buyers to test as many
different compilers (C, OCCAM, whatever) before
buying.  You could be wasting a lot of compute
power.

David Jevans, U of Calgary Computer Science, Calgary AB  T2N 1N4  Canada
uucp: ...{ubc-cs,utai,alberta}!calgary!jevans

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (11/22/88)

In article <228@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> jevans@.ucalgary.ca (David Jevans) writes:
>Several articles have compared the Transputer to 68000s
>(SUN 3s) and VAX 780s.  I had got similar results when
>testing some T800s with a beta C compiler (the developer
>of which shall remain nameless).  Needless to say I was
>less than impressed.  About 2 months ago I got ahold of
>another demo board and a Logical Systems C compiler
>(from CSA).  My ray tracer, which is very cpu and
>floating point intensive, ran 25 times faster than
>with the other vendors C compiler.  The execution
>time was equal to that of a SUN 4!
>
>This just goes to show you that while hardware may be
>the same, the compiler can make all the difference.

I view this as a non-sequitur. You don't say whether the second board was
identical to the first - same clock speed and so on? I very much doubt that
the compiler has much to do with it, but it's probably the run-time support
(the floating point package, or whatever); perhaps your first version was
running with floating point emulation rather than using the hardware? Perhaps
your second version was configured to use the on-chip RAM for stack space?
Perhaps a lot of things... :-)

Disclaimer: I don't know much about transputer hardware systems, but I
have programmed transputers and know something about compilers.

>David Jevans, U of Calgary Computer Science, Calgary AB  T2N 1N4  Canada
>uucp: ...{ubc-cs,utai,alberta}!calgary!jevans

Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick
~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
...while the builders of the cages sleep with bullets, bars and stone,
they do not see your road to freedom that you build with flesh and bone.

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Moshe Braner) (11/25/88)

[response to doubts expressed about posted benchmark]

I've seen compiler differences of 100-fold before, using the same
program on the same hardware.  In this case (a ray-tracing program)
I would guess that the key compiler feature is the trigonometry library,
since the T800 FPU only does +-*/ plus sqrt (sort of).  I have seen
rather naive trig libs using simple algorithms written in C, and, in
contrast, good algorithms hand-optimized in assembler.  The Logical
Systems math library is of the latter sort, and is the fastest there is
on the T800 as far as I know.  So the quoted 25-fold advantage (over a
beta version of an unnamed compiler) seems believable to me.

BTW for graphical rendition purposes single precision is frequently
adequate and a compiler that allows breaking the standard C rule of
doing everything in double wins if it can do single precision faster.
A library that does it even faster in half-precision can also be useful.

- Moshe Braner

"compiled BASIC can be faster than interpreted C"
"Spaghetti code is possible even in Pascal"