[comp.sys.transputer] Performance Evaluation Systems

TSC@vax1.esprit.southampton.ac.uk (12/10/88)

>I wonder if anybody has done research on measuring the level of
>utilization of the channel, the link, and the CPUs

Yes, various pieces of work have been done at Southampton University, and
the Transputer Support Centre, on mesuring processor and link activity.

Link and Processor activity can be estimated by using bits of hardware to
monitor the links and processor activity. In software, there was a posting
on this mailing list some while back of the source of a process which
would estimate the utilisation of a processor. We used this for quite
a while and also modified it so that it would compile under D700D with
the checking on.

Recently however, a process was written which would poll the links and
low priority processes, to assess the activity of the processor. This
provides a more complete picture of what is going on, but it does not
deal with high priority processes. It also can only assess the time that
a link is waiting for a transfer, not the time spent actually transferring
data.

The code is written in occam, but I am sure that it could be written in
any language where you are allowed to access memory locations.

|  Charlie Askew                   JANET:  CHAS@UK.AC.soton.esp.v1            |
|                                  BITNET: CHAS%UK.AC.soton.esp.v1@AC.UK      |
|  Transputer Support Centre       ARPA:   CHAS%UK.AC.soton.esp.v1@ucl-cs.ARPA|
|  Unit 2                                                                     |
|  Chilworth Research Centre       Other:  CHAS@v1.esp.soton.AC.UK            |
|  SOUTHAMPTON                                                                |
|  SO1 7NP                         Phone:  +44 703 760834/5                   |
|  United Kingdom                                                             |