[comp.sys.transputer] Routing software for the transputer

birger@freja.dk (Birger Andersen) (11/11/88)

My name's Birger Andersen and I'm working on a Ph.D. project at the
University of Copenhagen, Denmark. We've just ordered some transputer
components from Inmos to put on one of our Sun 3 workstations, making a
Sun-based programmable network of 16 T800 transputers.
   Since one of my goals is to design and implement an object-based language
for network computers supporting object allocation and mobility transparently,
I'm now looking for message routing software for transputer networks. The
software should be able to route messages of any length from any source
node/process to any destination node/process in any network without
deadlocks. If anyone has heard about such software, which is available now,
I'd very much like to know it, since it'd cut off the trivial work of writing
it myself.
   We're also looking for a C compiler for our Sun-based transputer network.
If you know about a good one, please let me know.

                                 Birger Andersen
                      DIKU, Department of computer science
                              Universitetsparken 1
                               DK-2100 Copenhagen
                                     Denmark

                              Email: birger@diku.dk

traian@imag.imag.fr (Traian MUNTEAN) (11/16/88)

In article <4194@freja.dk> birger@freja.dk (Birger Andersen) writes:

>I'm now looking for message routing software for transputer networks. The
>software should be able to route messages of any length from any source
>node/process to any destination node/process in any network without
>deadlocks. If anyone has heard about such software, which is available now,
>I'd very much like to know it, since it'd cut off the trivial work of writing
>it myself.
>   We're also looking for a C compiler for our Sun-based transputer network.
>If you know about a good one, please let me know.

As we have designed such a communication kernel (one version within the TDS
environment and an "open" stand allone version) I would say that "trivial work"
is quite inappropriate. Trivial functions yes, but please try for a while to
implement them, do not forget to proove them as deadlock free also!
Good luck for your PhD.

Traian MUNTEAN : IMAG/LGI, Campus BP53X
		 38041 GRENOBLE - France  (tel. ..-33-76514864)
traian@imag.imag.fr; muntean@imag.UUCP;{uunet.uu.net|mcvax|inria}!imag!traian}
 -^->   Every small problem hardly struggles to get LARGE...!

gdburns@TBAG.OSC.EDU (Greg Burns) (12/13/88)

It sounds like you are undertaking a very serious project and you realize
that you may need some minimal system support underneath you.  You might
find that routing software is only the first thing you need.  You may also
be interested in buffering, multitasking, broadcasting, multicasting,
dynamic process control, file access and portability.  If you are interested
in C/Unix, you might want to check out Trollius, which I am responsible for,
or possibly Helios.  I strongly advise building your software on a solid
platform in order to cut the development cycle, ease maintenance, and
promote portability.

--Greg Burns