[comp.sys.transputer] Do T4 and T8 transputers mix?

arc@sys.uea.ac.uk (Tony Clare CMP Staff) (03/14/89)

We are on the verge of buying some T8's to put in our  Meiko Computing
Surface. However,  all the compute  boards which we  currently own are
made  up of T4's  (MK009's).  Meiko say that  there shouldn't  be  any
compatibility problems.  I thought I'd  check with the  network before
we purchase.

Has anyone  had any experience  of  mixing T4's  and T8's  in  a Meiko
Computing Surface? What are the results?

We're running MMVCS (the Meiko multi-user s/w). Is it sensible to keep
different types of transputers in separate domains?

Thanks in advance!

arc1@ukc.ac.uk (A.R.Curtis) (03/15/89)

In article <478@sys.uea.ac.uk> arc@sys.uea.ac.uk (Tony Clare CMP Staff) writes:

>Has anyone  had any experience  of  mixing T4's  and T8's  in  a Meiko
>Computing Surface? What are the results?
>
>We're running MMVCS (the Meiko multi-user s/w). Is it sensible to keep
>different types of transputers in separate domains?

We have 2 M60 cabinets with a mixture of T4 and T8. We are running
standalone (i.e. no sun on the front) with MMVCS and 2 (yes, 2)
MEiKOS processors. One of these is T4 and the other T8. We also have
a variety of domains, some mixing T4 and T8.

It's probably not a good idea to mix processor types inside domains.
But it doesn't really make much difference elsewhere. For example,
all our spine processors (off which the domains hang) are T4. Most
of the domains are all T8, but some are T4, some have T4 user seats
with T8 processors in the domain.

The biggest problem with having different processor types around is
that you need to keep software for both around too. You can also
create havoc by loading T8 code into T4 processors (if you happen to
be using a different boot file than that specified in the
configuration).

Good luck!!

Tony Curtis, UKC