[comp.sys.transputer] Linda inquiry

awilkinson@nasamail.nasa.gov (ALLEN R. WILKINSON) (05/23/89)

Forwarded message:

>From:   POSTMAN
To:     awilkinson
Subj:   [From: <fpst@hubcap.clemson.edu>]

Internet mail from the Ames NASAmail Gateway follows:
Send the following line as the first line of the text of your reply:
To: <fpst@hubcap.clemson.edu>
Contact admin/arc (Lilly Compton) for details.

Date: Mon, 22 May 89 11:30:57 -0400
>From: fpst@hubcap.clemson.edu (Steve Stevenson)
To: awilkinson@nasamail.nasa.gov

Newsgroups: comp.parallel
>From: mcvax!dit.upm.es!jlzabala@uunet.UU.NET (Jose Luis Zabala del Ojo)
Subject: Looking for info about Linda on transputers

I am working on a project which involves the evaluation of using
Linda as the implementation language on transputer networks.
Nevertheless we are lacking information about Linda systems (commercial,
operational, underway) that can generate code, either on bare transputers
or on transputers running on some operating system (e.g. Helios, Trollius).

Any info about research sites or companies offering
(developing) Linda on transputers will be welcome.

Please E-mail the responses. In case of interesting responses, I'll post a
summary of them to the net.

Thanks in advance,

--
 Jose L. Zabala                    E-mail jlzabala@dit.upm.es
                                   Department of Telematic Engineering

wm@CSE.OGC.EDU (Wm Leler) (05/24/89)

There are several groups doing some sort of work with Linda on
transputers.  The Trolius people (in particular Moshe Branner at
Cornell) have a version of Linda called Brenda, but it is very
limited.  At one time, Topologix had a version of Linda that ran on
their hardware, but I'm not sure of the current status.

And of course, here at Cogent Research we have an implementation of
Linda called Kernel Linda that we have used as the basis of a UNIX-like
operating system.  Kernel Linda is a subset of Linda in that it only
supports tuples with a single key (this was required in order to avoid
the preprocessing step required of Yale Linda, which could not be done
in an operating system).  Kernel Linda also supports many advanced
features, like multiple tuple spaces, language-independent
communication, and so on.  We plan on adapting the Yale proprocessor to
use Kernel Linda as the Linda run-time system.

If anyone would like more information, we would be glad to send it.

Wm Leler
Cogent Research, Inc.
1100 NW Compton Drive
Beaverton, OR  97006-6998