[comp.sys.transputer] Atari Workstation

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Moshe Braner) (10/10/88)

[]

A while ago I read about a transputer box that plugs into a plain Atari ST.
Can one still get it?  With a t800 (rather than a t414)?  Price?

Alternatively, has anybody tried to interface an Inmos link adaptor chip
to the ST parallel port or DMA port?  Would that be too hard to home-build?
(One could buy a PClone, or a chassis for one anyway, solely as a box with
power that an inexpensive transputer board can be plugged into!)

- Moshe Braner

hafer@infbs (Udo Hafermann) (10/13/88)

A firm which builds transputer systems and interfaces to the Atari ST
(and IBM-PC) is

	TransferTech GbR
	Goslarsche Str. 64
	D-3300 Braunschweig
	W. Germany

E.g. they have a tranputer-based Server-Network for the ST series.
Anyone interested may e-mail me for details.
Bitnet preferred:  hafer at dbsinf6

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (10/15/88)

In article <6507@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Moshe Braner) writes:
>[]
>
>A while ago I read about a transputer box that plugs into a plain Atari ST.
>Can one still get it?  With a t800 (rather than a t414)?  Price?
>
>Alternatively, has anybody tried to interface an Inmos link adaptor chip
>to the ST parallel port or DMA port?  Would that be too hard to home-build?

Well, you asked for it.

A german magazine (called c't) published scamatics/desciptio/software
for a board called TEK4/8.

This is a B004-compatible plug in for the PC or AT. It runs the
INMOS-Occam-Compiler as well as the popular C- or FORTRAN-Compilers.
It can be equipped with a T414 or T800 (15 or 20 MHz) and up to 2
Megabytes of RAM (DRAM 41256 or the like).

In another article they showed a board that plugs to the ROM port and
gives you an ECB-Slot (Europa-Card-BUS, an Z80-Bussystem), a PC-Slot (or
more than one if you use a passive backplane) and up to 1 Megabyte ROM
(using bank switching of 64k blocks).

A little later they made software availeble to plug the TEK4/8 (or the
B004) to the "PC-Slot" and run the Inmos OCS (Occam Compiler System).

If You are interested in a copy of the articles, send IRCs and an
envelope with your adress to the Adress below. I've got permission to
send you a copy... (even a translation to my kind of "English" :-)

The drawback is the price: the universal interface is DM 228 (assembled
and tested, komplete part kit is DM 169).
The TEK4/8 basic set (empty card, all needed PALs, ST server software
for the universal interface, Inmos OCS, less RAM, Transputer, Link
adaptor..) is DM 499. (one buck is about DM 1,82 today).
all prices plus shipping and customs, of course.

I love the TEK. We use it at TUB (Technical University Berlin).
The ST interface is almost as fast as real DMA.
I heard about the universal interface used for a harddisk controller...

I'm not related to the Heise Verlag (publisher of c't) in any way but as
a really satisfied subscrber and customer.

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
If there is something more important than my ego, I want it caught and shot,

walkerb@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Brian Walker) (10/18/88)

In article <6507@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Moshe Braner) writes:
>A while ago I read about a transputer box that plugs into a plain Atari ST.
>Can one still get it?  With a t800 (rather than a t414)?  Price?
>
>Alternatively, has anybody tried to interface an Inmos link adaptor chip
>to the ST parallel port or DMA port?  Would that be too hard to home-build?

Kuma, a company in Britain with experience in the ST market, at one time
produced a traansputer developement system: K-Max.  The K-Max module was
designed to plug into a 520ST or 1040ST and included developement software.
The price was rather steep, compared to other products in the market at the
time.  I am not certain if Kuma still offers the package.
Brian Walker, University of Colorado at Boulder|| printf("Say please:] \n");
	      walkerb@tramp.colorado.edu=======|| if (say_please(user))
{ncar,nbires,sunybcs}!boulder!tramp!walkerb====||     be_nice(random());

FGOMEZ@estec.BITNET (07/29/89)

 From: (F. Gomez)
 Subject: Atari Workstation
  There is an Atari Workstation in the market. We are evaluating
 it at the moment for Man Machine Interface Space Applications.
 It runs the Helios Operating System and XWindows on top. Although
 the version we have got has only 1 T800, it has room for 4 of them
 It offers also a UNIX Run-Time Library. The documentation is rather
 poor (typical of first releases).
  F.Gomez-Molinero
  European Space Agency
  ESTEC.