[net.micro] US Robotics Courier 2400

lauren@RAND-UNIX.ARPA (07/27/85)

My intention here isn't to contradict Rick, but I should mention that
I've received quite a few reports of compatibility problems with that
modem when trying to talk to other brands of 2400 bps modems and
some 212 modems as well.  One modem person I know claims that "the
2400 bps situation is a mess right now due to small variations in the
way the manufacturers are implementing the two specs--I'd wait a while
before investing in one of those things unless you can get it for $100".

Just thought I'd pass that along.

--Lauren--

gws@cbnap.UUCP (Gary W. Sanders (N8EMR)) (07/29/85)

In article <214@brl-tgr.ARPA> lauren@RAND-UNIX.ARPA writes:
>My intention here isn't to contradict Rick, but I should mention that
>I've received quite a few reports of compatibility problems with that
>modem when trying to talk to other brands of 2400 bps modems and
>some 212 modems as well.  One modem person I know claims that "the
>2400 bps situation is a mess right now due to small variations in the
>way the manufacturers are implementing the two specs--I'd wait a while
>before investing in one of those things unless you can get it for $100".
>
>Just thought I'd pass that along.
>
>--Lauren--

Things are quite a mess with the 2400 V.22 compatibility issues.
The main porblems seems to stim from the fact that many companys went
with the Rockwell V.22 chip set and found a few (lot), of bugs.
The USR Courier 2400 however doesnt use the Rockwell chip set.
I have been using a USR 2400 for a couple of months now and have found
almost no problems with the units. I have used it with terminals,
i have used it with my PDP11 at home on both dial in and dialout.
At work I have used it connected directly to a unix machine and
connected to a LAN, No problems.  The USR 2400 is also one of the few
2400 baud modems that will Talk with  with an AT&T 2400 baud modem.
That was an important feature!! I was so impressed with the USR2400
that I gave back the one the office let me use and spent my OWN
money to buy one for myself. for $399-$500 you can't beat it.

				CU in net-land

				Gary W. Sanders (N8EMR)
				ihnp4!cbnap!gws
				AT&T Bell Labs (Columbus)
--
test of sig file

mikey@trsvax (07/30/85)

I heard that although there is a 2400 BPS standard for data, there is no
"weighting" standard for response, hence the difference in manufacturers.
I was advised to wait unless I have a specific modem I want to talk to.

mikey at trsvax

W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Keith Petersen) (08/24/85)

I received this on my RCPM today:

Msg#: 88     Date: 08/13/85 10:44 AM
From: TOM TCIMPIDIS
  To: ALL
  Re: ROBOTICS 2400 UPDATE

        For those of you using the U.S. Robotics 2400 baud modem
(I have two on my system), you should call U.S. Robotics (800 dial
usr) and request the ROM update. The new version is 242 (you can use
the ATI command to check yours) and fixes many problems and incorporates
a number of additions suggested by users. The update is free (try that
with Hayes).  For the record; my experiences with U.S. Robotics have
been excellent.  They are responsive and seem to care about their
product and its users.  I highly recommend their Courier 2400 mod
(and the half=price sysop offer is still in effect).
     -Tom Tcimpidis (The MOG-UR's EMS  818-366-1238)

P.S.  The MOG-UR is now multi-user with two lines in rotary.

Notes aded by Paul Foote - 08/17/85

     Thanks to Tim T. for letting us know about the Courier ROM upgrade.
I too own two Couriers and am delighted with their performance.  By using
the ATI0 command in terminal mode, I found out one had ROM vers. 240,
while the other was vers. 241.  So I called USR Technical Service (their
direct phone number is 312-982-5151, in case you have problems with the
800 number), and they said they would send two vers. 242 plug-in ROMs by
UPS two day air.  They also gave me simple instructions for installing
the new ROMS, and requested that I send them back the old ROMs after
I verified the new ones worked.  I was most impressed with their friendly
and professional helpfulness.  By the way, the USR rep. said they
believe all of the Courier 2400's distributed in their SYSOP offer have
the vers. 242 ROM, but you may want to check anyway.

klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) (10/04/85)

	Does anyone know what the 242 upgrade in the USR Courier 2400
	proms corrected?  I have seen ABSOLUTELY no difference in my
	modem since I upgraded the prom.