[comp.sys.transputer] Atari Transputer Workstation

julius@yugas.UUCP (Julius OKLAMCAK) (04/03/89)

In article <1053@rpi.edu>, brazil@pawl.rpi.edu (Timothy E. Onders) wrote:

>Presently, they do not expect to provide an expansion for present ST owners.
>The ATW will be in a tower configuration, with 40MBy HD, 4 MBy RAM, 1MBy
>graphics RAM, Helios, etc... The price quoted by Computer Shopper should
>have been in Pounds Sterling, rather than dollars. The actual price they
>are presently tossing around is about $4000-$5000. Actual price yet to be
>finalized.
>
> [some stuff deleted]

The last price I heard Atari U.K.  tossing about was 4000 pounds.  We
should have a better idea when developer units start shipping this
month.  I haven't seen the Computer Shopper article yet, so I won't
comment on its accuracy (yet :-).

For those following the ATW, I've been compiling and running short
X-Windows programs this last week.  Floating point is blazing fast.  So
far I am pleased with this interesting machine.  And it certainly has
quite a bit of potential.

>All information has been reasonably varified by a highly placed souce in
>Atari Canada.

Gee, I wonder who that could be.  :-)
--
Julius Oklamcak					All views are my own.
Atari (Canada) Corp.				"That is currently a docu-

g_ahrendt@vaxa.uwa.oz (Gunter Ahrendt) (12/02/89)

Does anyone have information about the Atari Transputer Workstation that was
prototyped last year, they showed two models one with 17 the other with 65
processors. I haven't heard anything about these since then?

jackin@vehka.uta.fi (Markku M{enp{{) (12/04/89)

Try comp.sys.atari.st for more information.

Here comes what I've heard, mostly rumours.

ATW is being sold in UK in small quantaties,somebody was demoing
software they have written for ATW in some show. So at least somebody
has one.

300 ATWs have been bought by Kodak inc. USA. Now that's what I call
a rumour <grin...

MM.

l86@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Hugo Burm) (12/12/89)

The specs of the ATW were posted on this net some months ago. I 'll
repeat it very briefly.
Hardware: T800, 20 MHz. 68000 i/o system (modified mega-st-1).
    4 mbyte RAM, 1 mbyte video RAM, 'blossom' video chip,
    4 slots for expansion boards (e.g. farm cards with 4 T800's).
Software: Helios OS, X-Window user interface.

I ported some Unix C programs and some F77 programs on the
ATW. It is fun to play with more than one processor.

In the UK, Netherlands and Germany the ATW is availbale.

ported the Mirashading software by Thalman&Thalman.

J.Wexler@edinburgh.ac.uk (12/14/89)

Quoting directly from Atari's glossy:

T800-20 processor and 68000 processor for i/o tasks
4 Mb RAM expandable to 16 Mb
i/o subsystem 512K RAM, expandable to 4Mb
Video memory of 1 Mb fast dual port dynamic RAM
40Mb SCSI hard disc
Helios operating system - multi tasking with C shell and UNIX compatible
    command set
Supports C, Fortran 77, Modula 2, Lisp, Prolog, BASIC, Occam and Strand
X-Windows user interface
British designed
Price guide #5000*

where "#" means pounds sterling, and "*" is unexplained (it probably means "ask
us for a discount").

The glossy doesn't say it, but you can install up to 64 Transputers.  The ATW
definitely does exist and has sold enough to be considered a genuine product
rather than a prototype.  Edinburgh University Graphics Workshop has had one
on loan for a while, as well as keeping a prototype model permanently available
for users - the only difference seems to be in the packaging.  The version that
you can buy has a deskside plinth, a keyboard and a monitor.