[comp.sys.transputer] Mouse to Transputer

EDMONDS@prlvax1.prl.philips.co.uk (Mark from Philips) (02/02/90)

Does anyone know of a mouse/transputer board out there?

Or is it a simple case of buying an RS232 to transputer interface and plugging
a mouse in?  Has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance,

Mark Edmonds
edmonds@uk.co.philips.prl

ccplumb@lion.waterloo.edu (Colin Plumb) (02/05/90)

In article <900202114455.000014B40C1@prlvax1.prl.philips.co.uk> EDMONDS@prlvax1.prl.philips.co.uk (Mark from Philips) writes:
> Does anyone know of a mouse/transputer board out there?

> Or is it a simple case of buying an RS232 to transputer interface and plugging
> a mouse in?  Has anyone done this?

Assuming the mouse you want to use sends RS232 signals (like many IBM PC
mice), then that's all there is... except for writing a device driver, of
course.

At Cogent, it was just a Z8530 serial chip (and that %^&%^ 2.2 us delay
between accesses; almost worth a context switch, but not quite) hung
off the bus with some apropriate chip select decoding circuitry.

This is where I learned that transputers are really great I/O processors.
Interrupt dispatching is a bit of a pain, but the on-chip timer makes
real-time constraints easy to satisfy, and the unaligned block move is
useful for buffer-bashing.  I just wish there was an instruction to copy
from a 1-byte-wide port to a 4-byte-wide one.  The 2-D move could do the
job, but the penalty per line is absolutely disgusting; it was faster to
write our own.
--
	-Colin