[comp.sys.transputer] C++ on Transputer

lohnert@b21.UUCP (Frieder Lohnert) (02/09/90)

I am looking for C++ Translator/Compiler for Transputers.

Who is selling or planning such a product ?

Is there in any experience in porting C++ Translator/Compiler for the
Transputer ?

Thanks,

	Frieder

tpm@eng.cam.ac.uk (tim marsland) (02/11/90)

In article <362@b21.UUCP> lohnert@b21.UUCP (Frieder Lohnert) writes:

> I am looking for C++ Translator/Compiler for Transputers.

> Who is selling or planning such a product ?

i believe Cogent Research were using c++ ``in anger'' on transputers two
or more years ago. according to a recent glossy i saw, their current XTM
machine runs c, c++ and fortran.

> Is there in any experience in porting C++ Translator/Compiler for the
> Transputer ?

re: porting, almost certainly, this has been done before in many places.
our experiences have been that "porting" the at&t cfront is really quite
straightforward provided your c compiler behaves.  About 18 months ago a
research student in our group (who had written a lot of c++ code) used c++
to implement a distributed hmm on a ring of 64 transputers.  He was able
(well more or less) to run the output of the 1.1 cfront translator running
on under ultrix, into the logical systems transputer toolset c
cross-compiler running under sunos (did anyone say contorted?).  At that
time, we simply sneaked around the static constructor nm/munch bits :-)

i've currently got a project student working on applications of dynamic
switching, and as a prelude to that, he's doing the port of 1.2 cfront
plus libraries to the 88.4 version of the logical systems c compiler --
all seems fine so far.  I've thrown together a restricted version of
nm(1) which trundles through logical systems object files and libraries
and talks to the standard munch in the right kind of way, so we're going
to try and do static constructors 'properly' this time.

tim marsland

robertsj@ADMIN.OGI.EDU (John Roberts) (02/12/90)

At Cogent Research we have ported A.T.& T.'s cfront (and corresponding
libraries) for both C++ 1.2 and 2.0 onto our self-hosted, transputer-based
system.  The only thing you'll really need is a good toolset (i.e.
C compiler and linker).  cfront from A.T.& T. also comes with a good
C preprocessor from Decus (which we use with it, I believe this is the
same C preprocessor that comes with X-windows).  The C compiler we use
(at Cogent) is a modified (our own mods) version of the Pentasoft/Unidot
toolset.  I wrote our own linker, so we use that (its *fast*, especially
if you consider the speed of other transputer linkers).

If you want any more info on Cogent Research either email me and I'll be
happy to send you answers to questions, general overview of our system,
etc... or contact us at the below address/phone number:

Cogent Research, Inc.
1100 NW Compton Drive
Beaverton, Oregon  97005
(503)690-1450