[comp.sys.transputer] Amiga Transputer?

cjs900@csc.anu.oz (05/25/88)

Hi all!

I wonder if anyone has any details about the new Amiga transputer that
has recently been released, how it works, hardware involved etc. I am
very interested in finding out more, as I have heard so little about it.

Thanks.

Chris Stanek.
Oz Nat Uni.
cjs900@csc.anu.oz

steveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Steve Beats) (05/26/88)

In article <71@csc.anu.oz> cjs900@csc.anu.oz writes:
>Hi all!
>
>I wonder if anyone has any details about the new Amiga transputer that
>has recently been released, how it works, hardware involved etc. I am
>very interested in finding out more, as I have heard so little about it.
>
>Chris Stanek.

Whoa there!  There is no Amiga transputer released as yet.  There is work
in progress in Braunschweig, Germany to produce a plug in transputer board
for the Amiga and they do have boards layed out and working.  However, this
project is still in the evaluation stage and no actual product has been
defined.  I managed to weasle a board out of the guys over there (I worked
there for a year, so I new the right folks) and will be playing with it as
soon as time permits.  Currently, the interface is real simple.  Just a
small link adapter that presents the link data in the Amiga I/O space. Data
transfers are as slow as hell.  I believe there are plans to hook up some
dual ported memory addressable by both the root transputer and the 680xx on
the Amiga side.  Once again, this is not nescessarily going to be in the
final product.  Oh yeah, Helios (from Perehelion Software in England) is
running native on our transputer board, I don't know if we'll be selling
it though.

The Braunschweig engineers working on this project do get on the net from
time to time.  I'll EMail them and see if they want to post a more accurate
description of the work in progress.

	Steve

mtv@milton.acs.washington.edu (David Schanen) (02/15/90)

	I have heard that there is a Transputer package with Amigas and I've
been watching here for sometime wbut there has been no mention.  Has anyone
heard of it?

	Also I'm not clear on the exact meaning of transputer, I have heard
that they are faster, but what exactly is the distinction?

		-Dave