[comp.sys.transputer] Transp[uters at IBM

ENGLE@A.ISI.EDU (02/21/90)

David Boreham writes;

>There are definitely more IBM transputer projects. I know this
>not because I work for INMOS but because I've read about them
>in the press.

Do you have any examples?  I have heard that IBM has purchased more than
40,000 transputers.  Even with four Victor-256's you can only account for
a very small percentage of the 40K.  Its an expensive way to make integrated
circuit jewelry...they don't make good doorstops (too low to the ground,
but the pin-grid array does do a good job of grabbing the carpet) ...
are there other uses for transputers that we don't know of?

Steven W. Engle

drdeath@wpi.wpi.edu (George Dan Kostopoulos) (02/21/90)

From postnews Tue Feb 20 18:51:52 1990

> I have heard that IBM has purchased more than
> 40,000 transputers.  Even with four Victor-256's you can only account for
> a very small percentage of the 40K.  Its an expensive way to make integrated
> circuit jewelry...they don't make good doorstops (too low to the ground,
> but the pin-grid array does do a good job of grabbing the carpet) ...
> are there other uses for transputers that we don't know of?
>
> Steven W. Engle

	IBM could be using the 40k transputers it bought as thumbtacks.
Or maybe a sales campain.

		BUY A PS/2 and get a real CPU free.

			:-)
 I've got it bad,         |  My favorite fictional character is Death,
 got it bad,              |  because the only certainties in life are
 got it bad,              |  death and taxes and there is no
 I'm hot for preacher!!!! |  incarnation for taxes!
	-Hester Prynne    |  		-Doctor Death
Internet address:  drdeath@WPI.WPI.EDU

davidb@braf.inmos.co.uk (David Boreham) (02/22/90)

In article <[A.ISI.EDU]20-Feb-90.11:29:26.ENGLE> ENGLE@A.ISI.EDU writes:
>David Boreham writes;
>
>>There are definitely more IBM transputer projects. I know this
>>not because I work for INMOS but because I've read about them
>>in the press.
>
>Do you have any examples?  I have heard that IBM has purchased more than
>40,000 transputers.  Even with four Victor-256's you can only account for
>a very small percentage of the 40K.  Its an expensive way to make integrated
>circuit jewelry...they don't make good doorstops (too low to the ground,
>but the pin-grid array does do a good job of grabbing the carpet) ...
>are there other uses for transputers that we don't know of?
>
>Steven W. Engle

I assume that there is a smiley missing from this posting somewhere.
Of course I can't give more information.
You wouldn't want be to be simultaneously sued by packs of INMOS
and IBM lawyers, would you ? (  8-)  ).

BTW, offers for the rights to market transputer jewelry should be
addressed to Andy Rabagliati, INMOS corp, PO Box 16000, Colorado Springs, CO 80935.

David Boreham, INMOS Limited | mail(uk): davidb@inmos.co.uk or ukc!inmos!davidb
Bristol,  England            |     (us): uunet!inmos.com!davidb
+44 454 616616 ex 547        | Internet: davidb@inmos.com