[comp.sys.transputer] Problem with Inmos 'iskip'

K312240@AEARN.BITNET (Klaus Kusche) (03/20/90)

Dear mailing list:

Just to be fair and balance bug reports between Inmos and Parasoft:
Here is another problem with the Inmos software...

As you might remember, I reported problems running C programs using
the flood-fill configurer 'fconfig' on our hardware. The flood-fill
code crashes the C004's (this has been confirmed in the meantime).

As all link switches are connected to the root transputer only in our
system, I expected to solve that problem using 'iskip', a tool of
the Inmos Occam toolset which installs a small forwarding process
on the root transputer. As a result, the root transputer should become
invisible for the application booted afterwards, this application is
booted straight onto the second transputer and anything behind that,
believing that this is the root transputer.

'iskip' works as expected for both single- and multi-transputer Occam
programs (those being 'iboot'ed and those being 'iconf'ed), and it also
works for single-transputer Inmos C programs (also being 'iboot'ed).

However, all parallel C programs, no matter if explicitely configured
with 'config' or prepared for flood fill with 'fconfig', do not work:
'iserver' is able to copy all of the boot file to the link, but then
nothing happens any more...
(however, it has the desired effect that the link switch settings
are still ok after flood-fill programs, which is not very helpful
if the program doesn't work at all)

Any help appreciated!

P.S.: Does anyone know how to start the 'iserver' in debug mode
(yeah, undocumented...) from the very beginning???
I know that debug mode can be toggled by entering 'z' on 'iserver's
break prompt, but I would like to have the debug mode on faster than I
can hit the break key....

* Klaus Kusche                                                         *
* Research Institute for Symbolic Computation                          *
* Johannes Kepler University           Tel: +43 7236 3231 67           *
* A-4040 Linz                          Telex: (Austria) 22323 uni li a *
* Austria (Europe)                     Fax: +43 7236 3231 30           *
*                                                                      *
* Bitnet:           K312240@AEARN                                      *
* Arpa/CS/Internet: K312240%AEARN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU               *
* UUCP:             mcvax!aearn.bitnet!K312240                         *
* Janet:            k312240@earn.aearn or k312240%aearn@earn-relay     *

sigfried@rimfaxe.diku.dk (Christian Damsgaard Jensen) (03/20/90)

K312240@AEARN.BITNET (Klaus Kusche) writes:

[article deleted]

>P.S.: Does anyone know how to start the 'iserver' in debug mode
>(yeah, undocumented...) from the very beginning???
>I know that debug mode can be toggled by entering 'z' on 'iserver's
>break prompt, but I would like to have the debug mode on faster than I
>can hit the break key....

You can start the iserver in debug mode, by using the undocumented
sz-option.

Regards

Christian D. Jensen	(sigfried@diku.dk)