[net.micro] Aztec support

ignatz@aicchi.UUCP (Ihnat) (10/08/85)

In article <358@faron.UUCP> Ken Bass (linus!faron!kbb) writes:

> I also should add my 2 cents worth about Manx and their compiler.
> First, their latest compiler (version 3.2d) is one of the best I have
> seen.  Mainly because the code that it generates is very logically optimized,
> > and also VERY easy to debug (at object code level).  Their librarys (sic)
> contain most relevant UN*X functions, and that makes porting programs much
> easier.  The compiler package also comes with utilities like 'grep',
> 'diff', 'make', as well as a 'vi'-like editor.
>
> On the other hand, the sales and technical support we got from Manx
> was appalling.  It took us about 3 months (and many frustrating phone calls)
> to get our upgrade from ver. 1.06 to 3.2.  And once we did get this
> latest version, their technical support was not very helpful.  At least
> they were polite....

First, I have to warn you that you get all the goodies--grep, 'z' (the
vi-like editor), make, object library sources, etc., only if you order
the Commercial Development package (about $500); but it's the only way
to go.  Next, I, personally, am very happy with it.  With the exception
of the terminal emulator 'term', it's been a very stable and fairly
bug-free release of a really professional development environment.

But I have to disagree with Ken on their tech support.  I uncovered a
problem with a program I was porting--it involved a rather nasty
macro expansion--and called at 6PM their local time.  I didn't really
expect it, but I not only got someone, but he also accepted the report,
and promised to follow up on it.  It just happened, in conversation,
that he did have an EM address; so I mailed a short demo of the problem
to him that night, and had a response in two working days, again via EM.
Today, I received another call at my office, reaffirming that the problem
is supposed to be fixed in the new release--coming out this week or next--
and guaranteeing that our copy was being expidited.  In addition, he
gave me his number at Manx, and asked that I call him if the bug *wasn't*
fixed.  I'm satisfied with the response.

--
	Dave Ihnat
	Analysts International Corporation