[comp.sys.transputer] angels and other weird beings

franke@VUSE.VANDERBILT.EDU (Hubertus Franke) (05/31/90)

Recently the quotation "Ich weiss jetzt was ein/kein Engel weiss" got cited
frequently. The urgent call from <J.Wexler> for a comment from a real german
source woke me up. After all this discussion even I got confused. However I
believe the correct version is "kein". The quotation origins from the believe
that angels know most things going on in the world. A person using it wants
to express his/her excitement about something he/she discovered,
that he/she believes is not known to anybody else (including angels).

But may be I'm mistaken and there's angel who knows it.

                Hubertus Franke (franke@vuse.vanderbilt.edu)

.[

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (05/31/90)

In article <9005301830.AA27521@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>, franke@VUSE (Hubertus Franke) writes:

>Recently the quotation "Ich weiss jetzt was ein/kein Engel weiss" got cited
>frequently. The urgent call from <J.Wexler> for a comment from a real german
>source woke me up. After all this discussion even I got confused. However I
>believe the correct version is "kein".

Which is how I have it quoted. In Wings of Desire, Damiel, an angel in
Berlin, crosses over to live a mortal life, having fallen in love with
a circus trapeze artist. In the process, of course, he learns about
the joys and trials of being human.

--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick