[net.micro] Integrating a home pc with appliances

Fischer.pa@XEROX.ARPA (10/05/85)

To do that you'd need an accepted standard for appliance control (like
MIDI for music) and a transmit medium.  I would suggest carrier current
AM on the house wires.  Anything you plugged into your home would (by
default) be accesable to your home computer control system, also plugged
into the wall.  Such a thing could be a slow dumb ether for the toys in
your house to talk on.

[Far better than the voice recognition scare of a year ago: Toaster to
coffee maker: "EYE YAM DUN PLEE-YUZ STAHRT THU CAW-FEE."  After a pause
the coffee maker recognizes that its being  spoken to and a command was
given... Coffee maker to Toaster: "SAH-REE BUD EYE HAHV NO WAH-TER."  T
to C: "EYE DEED NAUGHT UN-DER-STAND PLEE-YUZ REEPEET."  C to T: same...
ad nauseum.]

Issues of isolation, security etc. could be solved with some checks in
the appliances (to keep them from allowing really dumb/unsafe
operations) and a "home code" that could be some large number of bits
long to avoid hackage  by friends outside with inductor transmitters
wrapped around your power lines to "hack your home"... but is this
latter really an issue or just paranoia?

(ron)

> To do that you'd need an accepted standard for appliance control...
> ... and a transmit medium.  I would suggest carrier current
> AM on the house wires...
> Issues of isolation, security etc. could be solved with some checks in
> the appliances (to keep them from allowing really dumb/unsafe
> operations) and a "home code" that could be some large number of bits
> long to avoid hackage  by friends outside with inductor transmitters
> wrapped around your power lines to "hack your home"... but is this
> latter really an issue or just paranoia?

It's a real issue, because carrier-current signals can and do propagate
to neighboring houses.  There is no magic boundary where the power line
enters your house, or where it hits the pole; normally any signal on the
power line will propagate until it hits a pole transformer or something
similar, and that can cover a number of houses.  You don't need malicious
people with inductor transmitters; an uncooperative neighbor will suffice
to cause problems.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

calway@ecsvax.UUCP (James Calloway) (10/10/85)

A committee of the Electronic Industries Association meets monthly to
develop a standard for what they call the "home bus." This includes
carrier-current signals, infrared, hard wire and spread-spectrum
radio waves. The protocols developed for these "buses" are to be
completely interchangeable with one another and compatible with
all appliances connected to them.

--

James  Calloway
The News and Observer