[comp.sys.transputer] Folding Editor

arcr1@biology.cambridge.ac.uk (Andy Raine , RCR1@biology.cambridge.ac.uk) (12/12/89)

Too right!!!  A flexible folding editor would be a godsend for all of us.
Especially if it could be used in conjunction with conventional compilers,
source-control systems etc.  But, no joy.  There was a set of macros for
microEMACS knocking around about a year ago, but they weren't much cop.  A
set of real macros for grownUpEMACS was promised, but what happened to them?
(I think it was the some at INMOS who were supposed to be working on them,
but I can't remember.)  I found a folding editor for the PC on the
Lancaster PD software server, but I didn't like it much -- too complicated
to use, and it needed a separate file to keep the folding information in.
Finally, one of the INMOS reps at the stand at the PC user show at Olympia in
'88 recommended the use of an 'outliner' package.  Again, not easily used
with compilers, etc.

So ... where do we go?  What I would like (but my C isn't up to it) would
be TDS - style folding built in to microEMACS (not just macros).  Anyone
out there prepared to take up the challenge?

Andy

js7a+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (James Price Salsman) (12/12/89)

Gnu-Emacs' outline mode is as close to the TDS' folding
editor as any free software I've seen.  If you hack on
it for a while you will easily be able to duplicate all
of the TDS' functions.

:James

MY@astronomy.physics.southampton.ac.uk (Mike.Yearworth@prg.oxford.ac.uk, (12/13/89)

We have a folding editor with our Meiko system called VOPS. Runs on
a VAX and is compatible with OPS/TDS.

* Mike Yearworth                      * (janet) my@uk.ac.soton.phastr         *
* High Energy Astrophysics Group      * (span)  19460::my                     *
* Physics Department                  * (phone) (0703) 592079                 *
* Southampton University              * (fax)   (0703) 585813                 *
* Southampton SO9 5NH. UK.            *                                       *

GL172@DSIHRZ51.BITNET (12/20/89)

Folding Editor

A german company named  PUNCTUM, seen at the  DOIT - Meeting in
Munich, is selling a PC-based folding editor.  The editor
can be used to edit TDS-files without the need of a transputer

! Mail:                      !  EMAIL:
! University of Siegen       !  GL172@DSIHRZ51.BITNET
! FB 12 - I LEA              !
! Dipl.-Ing. Peter Lauer     !  Phone:
! Postfach                   !  0271 / 740 2188
! 5900 Siegen                !  BTX: 027375659
! West Germany               !  Telefax 0271 / 740-2310

cca04@.uk.ac.keele (P.J. Mitchell) (07/09/90)

I have seen and used the TDS folding editor a bit and I quite like the
idea of putting blocks of code/functions/subroutines away in folds so
that I don't have to wade through them every time I want to take a look
at my programs.

So does anybody out there know of a version of the folding editor that
will work on ASCII files rather than the odd format that the one supplied
by Meiko/Sension/Inmos does ? I heard that there was one for the PC that
you could user-define the start/end of fold markers for, anything similar
for UNIX ?

Ta.
--
--Paul Mitchell (CMA N.Cheshire, DoD#145)       | Computer Centre,
JANET:  cca04@uk.ac.keele.seq1                  | University of Keele, Keele,

trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) (07/18/90)

In article <436@keele.keele.ac.uk> cca04@.uk.ac.keele (P.J. Mitchell) writes:
>So does anybody out there know of a version of the folding editor that
>will work on ASCII files rather than the odd format that the one supplied
>by Meiko/Sension/Inmos does ?

I posted a version of my folding editor (FOLDED) to the net over a
year ago, so it is probably still bouncing around the archive servers.
I have a slightly newer version that I should probably post soon
that supports the IBM PC (Turbo C), the Atari ST (MWC), and a variety
of Unix flavors. I haven't had to make any code changes to it for a year
now, so it is pretty stable. It will work on any type of text file and also
supports multi-file relations, simple to understand multi-buffer
operations, etc. Let me know if you have trouble getting hold of the
posted version.  I just finished porting my HDSCAN package to the PC,
so will probably find time to re-post folded to comp.sources.misc in
the coming months.

  -Todd Burkey
   pwcs!stag!trb

einari@rhi.hi.is (Einar Indridason) (07/20/90)

In article <1990Jul18.042817.9247@stag.UUCP> trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) writes:
>I posted a version of my folding editor (FOLDED) to the net over a
>year ago, so it is probably still bouncing around the archive servers.

>now, so it is pretty stable. It will work on any type of text file and also
>supports multi-file relations, simple to understand multi-buffer

Please don't use the *8TH BIT* for commands or controls.  Please don't
mask the *8TH BIT*.  Please allow us here in Iceland to use it as well,
(and the rest of Europe.)

If you allow the use of the *8TH BIT* then you have my gratitude in
advance, wheter I will use it or not.

--
I just learned a new curse: "You #$@! son of SCROLLBAR!"

Internet:       einari@rhi.hi.is   | 'Just give me my command line and throw
UUCP: ..!mcsun!isgate!rhi!einari   | the GUIs in the dust-bin!!!!!!!!!'