[comp.sys.transputer] iserver for OS-9

waser@urz.unibas.ch (07/20/90)

Dear Netters,
I would like to run some toolset-applications on a
OS-9/VME-bus-system (host: 68020), but I don't have
an iserver sfor that system (only afserver, shipped with TDS D700D)
My question:
Did anyone tra.
Do you know other possibilities to bring toolset-files
Are there other possibilities to run toolset-files on the OS-9
System (eg running them from within the TDS. Do you have
experience with that problem.

Thanks in advance.

Stephan Waser
Institut f Informatik             phone: +41 61 321 99 67
Mittlere Strasse 142              fax  : +41 61 321 99 15
CH-4000 Basel                     email: waser@urz.unibas.ch

an OS-9 System

davidb@brac.inmos.co.uk (David Boreham) (07/23/90)

In article <1990Jul20.121234.833@urz.unibas.ch> waser@urz.unibas.ch writes:
>I would like to run some toolset-applications on a
>OS-9/VME-bus-system (host: 68020), but I don't have
>an iserver sfor that system (only afserver, shipped with TDS D700D)
>My question:
>Did anyone tra.
>Do you know other possibilities to bring toolset-files
>Are there other possibilities to run toolset-files on the OS-9
>System (eg running them from within the TDS. Do you have
>experience with that problem.

Yip.

I ported the iserver to OSK about a year ago, working
with B011 and B014 VMEbus boards. We currently use this
server for various in-house porposes and have given it
to a few customers on an ``over-the-wall'' basis.
Sometime soon I'll do a B016 version and make the whole
thing into a product.

Basically there's no problem. You just have to do the
usual hacking to get a UNIX C program to compile and run
under OSK (subverting compiler bugs and coping with the
tty-handling mainly). Then you need a linkio module written
for the hardware which you are using. After the iserver is
kicking (and alive), get the toolset binaries from a
D505 (SUN toolset) over using kermit or sumsuch. Then you're
away. We've not tested all the tools with OSK, but they
should cope fine with the lack of filesystem root in OSK.

I've no idea how home-porting would affect the licencing
and support of the toolset :)

David.

David Boreham, INMOS Limited | mail(uk): davidb@inmos.co.uk or ukc!inmos!davidb
Bristol,  England            |     (us): uunet!inmos.com!davidb
+44 454 616616 ex 547        | Internet: davidb@inmos.com