[comp.sys.transputer] Info on // C compilers

khan@banana.cse.eng.auburn.edu (Saqib A. Khan) (07/31/90)

	Could somebody please tell me which is the best // C compiler
to use, I've been told to wait for the new release of the 3L  // C compiler.
Is 3L's compiler really the best for multi-tasking etc. on a network of
Transputers?
	Thanks in advance.

					Saqib A. Khan.

iann@specialix.co.uk (Ian Nandhra) (07/31/90)

khan@banana.cse.eng.auburn.edu (Saqib A. Khan) writes:

>	Could somebody please tell me which is the best // C compiler
>to use, I've been told to wait for the new release of the 3L  // C compiler.
>Is 3L's compiler really the best for multi-tasking etc. on a network of
>Transputers?
>	Thanks in advance.

>					Saqib A. Khan.

The new Inmos compiler currently Beta testing is shaping up well but
seems to lack a few **useful** features.

As for the new 3L compiler, I dont know but it should be good!?!?
3L seem to have better Library management than the (current Beta) Inmos
product  which seems to produce a lot of code.

It would be interesting to hear from all those 3L users and prehaps
we could have a nice comparison between the two. (OK, ok, and
all the other vendors as well :-)

Ian.

--
Ian Nandhra,    Specialix, 3 Wintersells Road, Byfleet, Surrey, KT14 7LF, UK
{backbone}!mcsun!ukc!slxsys!iann                        iann@specialix.co.uk

east@echo.whoi.edu (Robert L. Eastwood) (08/02/90)

In article <1990Jul31.062643.19975@specialix.co.uk> iann@specialix.co.uk (Ian Nandhra) writes:

>It would be interesting to hear from all those 3L users and prehaps
>we could have a nice comparison between the two. (OK, ok, and
>all the other vendors as well :-)

We are currently trying the Inmos beta version of // C.
So far it works well.  But on another note:  Has anyone tried to
use icvlink to convert old 3L libraries to the new TCOFF format.
When we try, ilink seems to ignore the newly converted library.
I looked at the libraries using ilist and they appear ok.  And
I've done all the obligatory -I options when using the tools to see
whats going on.  It appears that everything is ok, but the linker just
doesn't want to recognize the converted libraries.  (Yes, I remembered
to run the librarian, ilibr, on the TCOFF file.)
Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.  The specific libraries
we are trying to convert are those provided with the IMS F000A-1 Vector
processing TRAM (IMS B420) C libraries.

Thanks in Advance.

--
| w   ww   w  hh  hh  oooooo iiiiii | Robert L. Eastwood        |
| ww  ww  ww  hhhhhh  oo  oo   ii   | Ocean Engineer            |