[net.micro] Undeliverable mail

mlsmith@NADC.ARPA (10/01/85)

----- Mail saved at Tue Oct  1 09:32:19 1985
To: "henry%utzoo.uucp@BRL"
Subject: Re: Suite numbers

	Having dealt with CBEMA before on ANSI X3B6 the admonition about suite
numbers is not unfounded in this case. CBEMA seems to purport itself to _be_
ANSI! It is not; it is a private profit making company much like many of the
other beltway bandits subsisting on government contracts. Additionally because
of prohibitions of certain conduct of government employees, the use of a contrac
tor to interface with the industry representatives avoids these situations.
CBEMA is only as secure as its likelihood of another government contract.

				Whichever way the congress blows,
				mlsmith@nadc.ARPA

dlc@lanl.ARPA (10/12/85)

Newsgroups: net.micro

> ----- Mail saved at Tue Oct  1 09:32:19 1985
> To: "henry%utzoo.uucp@BRL"
> numbers is not unfounded in this case. CBEMA seems to purport itself to _be_
> ANSI! It is not; it is a private profit making company much like many of the
> other beltway bandits subsisting on government contracts. Additionally because
> of prohibitions of certain conduct of government employees, the use of a contrac
> tor to interface with the industry representatives avoids these situations.
> CBEMA is only as secure as its likelihood of another government contract.
> 				Whichever way the congress blows,
> 				mlsmith@nadc.ARPA
I was an observer (which means I got about 2 pounds of first class mail per
week) of X3/X4 for about 3 years in the late 70's.  CBEMA is neither a
government contractor nor a profit making company.  It is an industry trade
association with members like IBM, etc.  That means its main function is to
inform whoever asks about the interests of its members.  Except in the case of
legislators and government administrators, no asking is required, and informing
is also known as lobbying.

Another function CBEMA happens to have is to act as the "secretariat" for ANSI
committees X3 (computer-related) and X4 (office equipment-related) standards.
(It seems to me maybe X3 and X4 have merged, to correspond with the merger of
ISO committees TC97 and TC98.)  Other organizations act as secretariat for other
ANSI committees.  ANSI is also neither a part of any government nor under
contract to any government.

I don't know how you could think CBEMA "purports itself to _be_ ANSI."  X3
sub-committees, such as X3B6, draft and solicit comments on proposed standards.
CBEMA provides an office which distributes notices of meetings and drafts of
proposed standards.  There is a formal method by which proposed standards are
passed, by voting, to become ANSI standards.  If they do not pass, the drafts
become waste-paper, as do out-of-date drafts.

If you need a draft of an X3 proposed standard or an ISO TC97 proposed
standard, you cannot order it from ANSI and you can order it from CBEMA.
Maybe you can get it somewhere else, such as from a sub-committee member.
If you need a copy of an official ANSI standard, you can order it from ANSI
(and not from CBEMA.)

  Opinion -- It is entirely appropriate that private concerns administer
    standards in the United States.  The National Bureau of Standards is
    the closest the government comes, and it was intended in early times
    to make sure separate retailers had the same weight or volume of
    whatever they sold, so consumers would not be cheated.  The involvement
    of NBS in computers seems to be limited to publishing standards that
    apply to government and government-contract sites, called FIPS for
    Federal Information Processing Standards.  Most FIPS are copies of ANSI
    standards, done some years later than ANSI.  In other words, NBS could
    not keep up with the work they would be required to do.  That's not a
    criticism of the NBS.  Obviously, the current system is financed by
    customers of companies whose products involve the standards.  If I
    didn't buy computers, I would not want my taxes to go to pay for
    developing standards related to computers.  On the other hand, to the
    extent that FIPS help the government use computers more effectively, I
    don't mind my taxes being spent on FIPS.

    What we could all use are more manufacturers who don't think, "if I make
    my system different, my customers will be locked-in for decades to my
    systems."  And who are not nearly ignorant of what standards there are
    (anyone like CBM-SCII or Atari-SCII?)

CBEMA -- Computer and Business Equipment Manufacturers' Association
ANSI -- American National Standards Institute
ISO -- International Standards Organization