[comp.sys.transputer] Purging orphan files in the TDS

ADRIAN@vax.oxford.ac.uk (11/05/90)

Reply to Jeremy Webber's question:

>Subject: TDS2 (D700D) PC file questions

Why not upgrade to TDS3(D700E)? Although it won't help you in this area.

>The development directory currently has over 300 files, which appears to
>cause MS-DOS to work hard maintainting the directory.
>Is it possible to make the TDS system use subdirectories (conveniently) to
>reduce the number of files stored in a directory?

The TDS only addresses a single directory at a time, as a rule. There are
exceptions: the toolkit, compacted libraries, system files, and you can
[ATTACH] to arbitrary files. But the latter needs special care, and is not
to be recommended under normal circumstances.
It sounds as if you should split your development directory: if you are
re-using or sharing code, maybe more use of compacted libraries?

>Is there any way to reconcile the contents of a directory with the fold
>structure, so that files which have become unlinked from the fold structure but
>not deleted may be removed safely?

Well there is such code which works for TDS2, but not for TDS3 without
modification. (Someone just might offer you a copy - please don't ask me.)
But you probably don't need it, because there is a simple way to eliminate
"orphans": create a temporary directory (RAM disc?). Move one level inside
toplevel(s), and fold up all contents into a single fold. Then use the file
utilities to [COPY] to a 'root' file in your temporary directory. Repeat if
you have several toplevel files. Run the TDS in the temporary directory, and
[ATTACH] to the root file(s). You can then delete all contents of the previous
directory (except any non-TDS files?), and finally copy the contents of the
temporary directory back.

Adrian Lawrence.    Microproceesor Unit, Oxford University.
		    JANET: ADRIAN @ UK.AC.OXFORD.VAX