[comp.sys.transputer] Transputers with IRIS host?

Kessells_SR@cc.curtin.edu.au (11/26/90)

Does anybody known if there is hardware to allow a Personal IRIS to
act as a host for a Transputer network (racks/boards etc) ?

If so, what kind of compilers/tools are available ? or can a PC compile a
3L Parallel C program and then shuffle up the executable (as the afserver
protocol should be the same) ?

Any comments are appreciated, thanks !

		Michael

 Aussie Post:	Michael Evans
 Internet:	TKESSELLS01@cc.curtin.edu.au
 ACSnet:	TKESSELLS01@cc.cut.oz.au
 Bitnet:	TKESSELLS01%cc.curtin.edu.au@cunyvm.bitnet
 UUCP:		uunet!munnari.oz!cc.curtin.edu.au!TKESSELLS01

bobw@GDSTECH.GRUMMAN.COM (Bob Waffenschmidt) (11/27/90)

Please, share the answers to this question.

banko@lisboa.tmc.edu (Brad Banko) (11/28/90)

In article <4839.27512672@cc.curtin.edu.au> Kessells_SR@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:

>Does anybody known if there is hardware to allow a Personal IRIS to
>act as a host for a Transputer network (racks/boards etc) ?
>
>If so, what kind of compilers/tools are available ? or can a PC compile a
>3L Parallel C program and then shuffle up the executable (as the afserver
>protocol should be the same) ?
>
>Any comments are appreciated, thanks !
>
>		Michael

> Aussie Post:	Michael Evans
> Internet:	TKESSELLS01@cc.curtin.edu.au
> ACSnet:	TKESSELLS01@cc.cut.oz.au
> Bitnet:	TKESSELLS01%cc.curtin.edu.au@cunyvm.bitnet
> UUCP:		uunet!munnari.oz!cc.curtin.edu.au!TKESSELLS01

We are now using a PI as a host using an INMOS(SGS/Thomson)
board and TDS3.  Two aspects of TDS have to be modified for
the Iris, a device driver for the board, and the iserver
software for communicating with the board.  SGS/Thomson has
helped us get up and running with this, but they don't
officially support the Iris as a host at this time.

Contact Laurie Pegrum at pegruml@isnet.inmos.com to express
your interest in SGS/Thomson's further development of the
Iris as a network host.  (Laurie is Lawrence, a man.)

Brad Banko

Brad Banko,  Theoretical Biophysics, Beckman Institute
Dept of Physics, University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign
banko@lisboa.ks.uiuc.edu, (217)-244-1851, 328-4932

jg@esd.sgi.COM (John Giannandrea) (11/29/90)

Kessells_SR@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:
   Does anybody known if there is hardware to allow a Personal IRIS to
   act as a host for a Transputer network (racks/boards etc) ?

Well, all 4D series machines (including the Personal Iris) have a
pretty standard VME bus.  Some people use the INMOS B014 board and
the INMOS Sun3 toolkits with a modified iserver.

INMOS in the US actaully own a PI.  You might like to send mail to
pegruml@isnet.inmos.com.  He may have more up to date information on
device drivers and modified toolkits for Irix.

> can a PC compile a 3L Parallel C program and then shuffle up the executable

Absolutely.