[comp.sys.transputer] Any info on T425 - T414 compatibility ?

rizzo@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Luigi Rizzo) (11/28/90)

Does anyone has information about the compatibility between the T414
and the T425 ? We have have bought a couple of T425 to replace the
T414B, but they are not even seen by the Worm program supplied with
the TDS (D700D). The program correctly recognizes a T800 or a T414
plugged in the same socket. Where is then the problem ? Hardware or
software incompatibility ?

Also, did anyone out there try the T400 ? Are there similar problems
of compatibility as the ones we experimented ? Any suggestion or
similar experience is welcome.
	Thanks
	Luigi

Luigi Rizzo
University of Illinois (on leave from the Univ. of Pisa)
Beckman Institute		phone: (217) 244-3225
405 N Mathews			e-mail: rizzo@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu
Urbana, IL 61801

ddd@THUMPER.BELLCORE.COM (Dorothy DeLuca) (11/29/90)

I know that on our boards when we raplaced T414's with T425's and tried
to run our code on them we ran into the following problem.  A program
compiled for a T414 could not run on a T425.  We needed to compile the
program for a T800.  In fact the T425 is just a T800 without the
Floating Point.  The problem then was that when we tried to load the
program the loader would try to initialize the T425 as though it were a
T800, ie. initialize some FP registers.  After about 1 to 2 minutes it
would give up trying to initialize these registers and then proceed
with the download and everything would run fine.  Initially we expected
the program to download rather quickly and since it didn't we assumed
that it was hung on the links.  Perhaps in your case you could wait a
little longer maybe the Worm program is just taking a long time in the
init process.  What we finally did was edit the source for the loader
by putting No-Op's in place of the floating point init commands.
Everything worked great after that.

Dorothy DeLuca
Bellcore

rizzo@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Luigi Rizzo) (12/01/90)

I received the following answer that I've been asked to post. BTW,
other people answered (many thanks to all of them), and I'll post a
summary in a few days (still waiting fore some answers).

From chris@inmos-c.inmos.com Fri Nov 30 09:56:52 1990
From: Chris Larsen <chris@inmos.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 90 08:52:45 MST
To: rizzo@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu
Subject: Re: Any info on T425 - T414 compatibility ?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.transputer

In article <1990Nov27.174407.19573@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> you write:
>Does anyone has information about the compatibility between the T414
>and the T425 ?

    This can be gotten from your local Regional Technology Center.
A quick run down on the differences is that a T425 has 4KB of
internal RAM, T800 style links, 2D block move support and (as a
consequence of the 2D block move support) a different value for
MemStart.

>               We have have bought a couple of T425 to replace the
>T414B, but they are not even seen by the Worm program supplied with
>the TDS (D700D). The program correctly recognizes a T800 or a T414
>plugged in the same socket. Where is then the problem ? Hardware or
>software incompatibility ?

    You can get a newer and better worm with source code from our mail
archive server.  The email address is archive-server@inmos.COM.  By
the way, we're having some problems getting news articles out on the
net; if you would be so kind, please post the information in this
message for me.  Thanks.

>Also, did anyone out there try the T400 ? Are there similar problems
>of compatibility as the ones we experimented ? Any suggestion or
>similar experience is welcome.

    Ditto.
--
Chris Larsen