[comp.sys.transputer] ANSI C Toolset

paul@crl.ucsd.edu (Paul Smith) (01/03/91)

	Pardon me if this has been discussed previously, I haven't been
reading this group for a while.

	I just received some information in the mail from INMOS about
a new product, "ANSI C Toolset for the Transputer Family" and I would
like to find out if anyone is or has used this.  Specifically I'd
like to know more about the debugger which is touted in the glossy.
They supposedly provide both an interactive and post-mortem source
level debugger, as well as a simulator.  I would like to know how
well the interactive debugger works.  Particularly how well it
deals with multiple processes on a single transputer, and accessing
local or static variables.

	We currently are using Logical Systems C and have written our
own post-mortem debugger, based on adb.  We're using the B011 board
on a sun 3.  We very happy with the code LS's compiler generates
but we'd be happy with an interactive debugger.

    Paul Smith                                  paul@crl.ucsd.edu
    Center for Research in Language             pssmith@ucsd.bitnet
    University of California at San Diego       (619) 534-2695

iann@specialix.co.uk (Ian Nandhra) (01/03/91)

paul@crl.ucsd.edu (Paul Smith) writes:

>	I just received some information in the mail from INMOS about
>a new product, "ANSI C Toolset for the Transputer Family" and I would
>like to find out if anyone is or has used this.  Specifically I'd
>like to know more about the debugger which is touted in the glossy.
>They supposedly provide both an interactive and post-mortem source
>level debugger, as well as a simulator.  I would like to know how
>well the interactive debugger works.  Particularly how well it
>deals with multiple processes on a single transputer, and accessing
>local or static variables.

>	We currently are using Logical Systems C and have written our
>own post-mortem debugger, based on adb.  We're using the B011 board
>on a sun 3.  We very happy with the code LS's compiler generates
>but we'd be happy with an interactive debugger.

I have been using the Inmos C compiler for a long time now (almost
from the start) targetting T2 family Tp's.

The debugger has more features than I have time to go into,
it has proved to be extremly useful, well thought out and well
worth using.

Gripes? Well there are a few, but nothing anywhere is
perfect and frankly we would be starting to nit-pick.

Unfortunately I have no experience with it on multiple transputer
networks. However, from the menu's its looking good.... :-)

Gotta rush......

--
Ian Nandhra,     iann@specialix.co.uk     {backbone}!mcsun!ukc!slxsys!iann
I am speaking, but  | If these are your opinions, then we are in agreement!!