[comp.sys.transputer] Sources for transputers

gessel@masada.cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) (01/04/91)

I'm looking to get a couple low end transputers to learn about
microprocessor interfacing as well as transputers in general.

Anybody know of a good source and/or price ranges for the different
types of transputers.

Thanks for any info,

Dan

--
Daniel Mark Gessel                          Independent Software Consultant
Internet: gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu                   and Developer

motteler@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Howard E. Motteler) (01/08/91)

Daniel Mark Gessel writes:
>I'm looking to get a couple low end transputers to learn about
>microprocessor interfacing as well as transputers in general.
>
>Anybody know of a good source and/or price ranges for the different
>types of transputers.

Check out CSA's transputer education kit.  This is a PC based
system that can be purchased in various configurations; the base
cost for a card with a T400 and no external RAM is only $236.
(At least this was the introductory price; it may have gone up
by now.)  You can add memory yourself; the 4 x 256K chips are
getting very cheap, and it will also take 4 x 1Meg chips, if you
can find them.  The basic kit also includes Logical Systems
C, Occam 2 TDS version D, a user's Guide and a workbook.  The C
sold with the kit lacks floating point op's, and the occam is
restricted to the T400.  (The kit price is considerably less
that the complete versions of TDS or LSC.)

The PC card is very nice; all chips are socketed, and it can be
upgraded in a number of way.  The workbook includes a number of
interesting hardware projects.  It does use a "non-standard"
form of link jumper (some kind of din plug, I think), but
adapters are available, or you can make your own.

I know that initial deliveries were slow.  I had one of the
first orders in, and I had to wait all summer, but I understand
that this is no longer a problem.  Overall I was very impressed
with how much I got, for the price.

--
Howard E. Motteler       |  Dept. of Computer Science
motteler@umbc3.umbc.edu  |  UMBC, Catonsville, MD 21228

Howard E. Motteler writes:
>Check out CSA's transputer education kit. . .

I forgot to include their address:

	Computer System Architects
	950 North University Ave.
	Provo, Utah 84604
	phone: 801 374 2300

I have no connection with CSA except as a satisfied customer.