[comp.sys.transputer] Experience with i860 TRAMs

karia@delhi.UUCP (Raju Karia xt.57370) (01/29/91)

Mike Moore writes:

>Here at BHP we are considering purchasing some i860/transputer TRAMs for doing
>floating point intensive calculations on geotechnical data sets. We have
>identified two suppliers of apparently suitable hardware, these being Quintek
>and Transtech, both UK based companies. If anyone out there has experience with>i860/transputer TRAMs from either of these companies, or any other, ..

We've just purchased two i860/transputer TRAMS (TTM100) from Transtech, and will
be installing them pretty soon (we're awaiting the arrival of a motherboard and
software). The TTM100s each come with a vector library called MathAdvantage
from Quantitative Technology Corporation on 5.25 inch diskette for MS DOS
(should not cause any problems if transferred to a Sun server, since its all
just i860 code). Transtech have added a few files to this library that contain
the necessary support kernel and stubs for library calls from 3L C and Fortran.

The technical notes from Transtech suggest making library calls to run on the
i860 from Fortran running under GENESYS. Thus far, we are uncertain as to
whether the i860 nodes can be accessed from GENESYS. Transtech recently informed
me that there is now a version of GENESYS that runs on the i860 itself. Here is
my most recent query to Transtech, for which I'm awaiting a reply :

"Will I be able to use the MathAdvantage library from GENESYS (more
specifically, does GENESYS II have stubs equivalent to the 3L C and Fortran
stubs in the MathAdvantage library) ?"

I'll send more information over the network once we have had all our software
and hardware installed. In the meantime, comments from anyone else with
experience in using these TRAMs would be greatly appreciated. In particular, we
would be interested in knowing of any other programming environments that run
on  Transtech hardware from which  the MathAdvantage library calls to the
i860s can be made.

Raju Karia, INTEVEP, Apartado 76343, Caracas, Venezuela.
voice: +58 2 908 7413
fax:   +58 2 908 6447
email: emsca!intevep!karia@sun.com