[comp.sys.transputer] Origami 1.5 under SunOS 4.0.3

igl@ecs.southampton.ac.uk (Ian Glendinning) (03/13/91)

In <1991Mar11.205133.25026@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> whitting@yoyodyne.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Dave Whittington) writes:

>I was able to get Origami running on our Sun 3/160, SunOS 4.0.3 without too
>much work.  I had to change all the occurrences of '#include <stdlib.h>' to
>'#include <sys/file.h>', cast all mallocs to the proper type, and write a
>'strstr' routine.  If you are interested in getting my modifications, email
>me.  If there is enough interest, I could probably even put the source up on
>NCSA's anonymous FTP.

Via a similar procedure I was also able to get origami 1.5  to compile
under SunOS 4.0.3.  However, when I ran it, the program refused to
recognise the carriage return key.  Inserting alphanumeric characters
into an existing text worked fine, as did <ESC>Z to exit the program.
I had all but given up on this problem, when a phone call from a
colleague (Ian Hardy) informed me that he had been having similar
problems implementing the program under trans-idris (the version of
Unix running on ParSys machines), but had discovered that the problem
was not due to the origami executable itself, but due to the keybind
executable, which was generating a bad .origamirc file!  He discovered
this by accident.  For debugging purposes, he wrapped the funcion
putc(), defined in keybind.c, in another function (called, say, putcf)
which also did a printf to see what was going on.  Miraculously, it
all started working with no other intervention!  So, I diff'ed the
.origamirc files I'd created under SunOS 4.1 and 4.0.3.  Lo and behold
they were different (although the same length.)  On cursory
inspection of a hex dump, it appeared that some (hex) zeros in the
good file showed up as hex 'e' in the bad file.  I have no idea why,
and to be honest I can't be bothered to chase it any more.  If any of
you gurus out there would care to explain, however...  Suffice it to
say, that if I use a .origamirc file that was created by a keybind
executable compiled under SunOS 4.1 together with an origami
executable compiled unders SunOS 4.0.3, it all works.  (We have a
mixture of systems here at the moment.)  Hope this helps.
   Ian
--
I.Glendinning@ecs.soton.ac.uk        Ian Glendinning
Tel: +44 703 593081                  Electronics and Computer Science