[comp.sys.transputer] How many Ts without external memory can you stuff in a system?

koontz@CAPSRV.JHUAPL.EDU ("Kenneth W. Koontz, JHU/APL ", koontz@capsrv.jhuapl.edu) (03/15/91)

Hi all,

     I have a potential application that might fit nicely into an array of Ts
made up of Ts without external memory (well, maybe one or so with 1-2MB but all
the rest only require 4K or so on-chip).  I need some answers to several
questions that would help in determining if such an array was useful for this
application:

1) Who/What/Where is the largest array of transputers using only on-chip RAM
   located?  Is it available for research/experimentation?  From across The
   Pond? (it would clearly help if it was located in the US and would be
   wonderful if it was located around the Washington DC area).  1000 or more
   Ts would be real nice...

2) Are there commercial boards or computers available which use only on-chip
   RAM?  How many per board?  I remember seeing a board with 19 or so on it
   (who's) for the PC.  Also, didn't NOSC make a board with 19 or 32 (some
   outragious number) for a PC too?  Are they selling these, can I get access
   to it, etc.

3) If I were to build my own system, what's the going rate on T222's or T425's
   for 100+ units?  I don't need floating-point, and an H1 would be an overkill.
   Besides, once the H1 comes out, the prices of the older units should drop
   like flies (gee, didn't I here something along this line in the discussion
   on "who needs massive parallelism"?).  What's the expected price of these
   parts in Sept 91 or Apr 92?

4) Has anyone experienced minor or major technical problems in integrating
   large numbers of Ts without external memory?  I would like to know this kind
   of user information in advance...

5) I just looked through the riddle section in the four latest OUG newsletters
   but I didn't find the answer...Geraint, Geoff, David, (and company) are
   you out there; any insights from the Oxford joke team?

                                     Thanks

Ken Koontz
The Johns Hopkins University
  Applied Physics Laboratory
Laurel, MD USA
email: koontz@capsrv.jhuapl.edu
phone: (301) 953-6328

igl@ecs.southampton.ac.uk (Ian Glendinning) (03/18/91)

"Kenneth W. Koontz, JHU/APL (koontz@capsrv.jhuapl.edu)" <koontz@edu.jhuapl.capsrv> writes:

>      I have a potential application that might fit nicely into an array of Ts
> made up of Ts without external memory (well, maybe one or so with 1-2MB but all
> the rest only require 4K or so on-chip).  I need some answers to several

Southampton has a machine with 1260 T212 chips in it, if that is of any
interest.  Of course you only have 2k of on-chip RAM to play with, but maybe
you could still use it?  I'm not sure if it can be accessed remotely.  If you
are interested, you could try contacting cjs@uk.ac.soton.tts, or bjp at the
same address.
--
I.Glendinning@ecs.soton.ac.uk        Ian Glendinning
Tel: +44 703 593081                  Electronics and Computer Science