[comp.sys.transputer] H1

ENGLE@A.ISI.EDU (11/30/89)

James Price Salsman writes:

>> Somewhere else I heard about 6 links ?
>Nope, only TWO!!!  Kinda defeats the purpose.  The H-1 is
>definetly going to be a linear array.

Given virtual routing, I think you have to ask whether more than two
links are necessary.  The effect will be that we can all toss out our
code that routes between intermediate processors and let the chip
handle it.

An Inmos representative at NATUG expressed the number of links issue as
a dynamic -- you can have more links at the same or slower speeds, or
you can have less links at faster speeds.  Isn't it also partly due to
some clever trick in the chip timing which gives the DMA engines a window
to operate without burdening the rest of the chip?  I recall that there is
some magic number (I think that its 2x) which sets the ratio of the link
speed to the CPU such that this window arises (experts care to comment?).

As for the MMU, all I would ask for is some form of memory segmentation.
In a language such as C where you can set a pointer to an arbitrary integer
you need some form process isolation in the memory system.  I remember
watching errant programs trash video RAM on my Apple II while learning linked
lists.  If this chip is ever going to make it in some of the more demanding
applications we need some way of guarenteeing that you can willfully or
accidently overwrite the operating system.

I personally can't image using any sort of virtual memory scheme effectively
in a transputer array, unless you did the sort of thing that Chrysalis on the
BBN Butterfly does.  In their system, processes can generate page faults when
they attempt to access non-local RAM, which in turn maps the access to
somebody else's local RAM.  You get the effect of a shared memory machine.

In regard to the link speed, one way to get the promised throughput is to
just make the links parallel rather than serial.  This would give you an
eight-fold increase in speed for what I suppose would be an equivalent loss
of die area.

In larger applications we are also beginning to see a lot of RAM sitting
around.  Some designers have demanded error correcting memory support and so
forth simply because as the amount of RAM increases your changes of errors
increase.  Does anyone have a feel for whether this should be a concern?

How important is upward compatibility?  Particularly given the sort of
marketplace that the transputer is hitting (primarily innovators and
academics).  I feel sorry for all those frustrated engineers at Intel who
must continue to support this stupid segmented architecture.  One thing that
RISC has done is its allowed companies with entrenched dinosaur architectures
to have an excuse for dropping upward compatibility in their new product line.
Its also opened a narrow window for upstarts to jump in and be taken seriously
(e.g. MIPS).  Are there enough users of the Transputer series to justify
maintaining upward compatibility or should (can) Inmos go for the potentially
bigger marketplace?

Steven W. Engle
Senior AI Software Engineer
MIMD Systems, Inc.

ADRIAN@vax.oxford.ac.uk (11/30/89)

There seem to be some very confused and peculiar notions of the H1 on this list!
The comments made by the INMOS designers at the Edinburgh Occam User Group
Meeting in September were very different from most of the recent messages.
I thought that a summary had been posted here, or was it only on the Occam
list?

I know that INMOS are saying very little officially, but maybe someone from
Bristol could inject a little real information.

I think that it is only the T400 which will have but two links. I believe that
the H1 will have *substantially* more!

Adrian Lawrence.    Oxford University Microprocessor Unit.

lindsay@watnext.Waterloo.EDU (Lindsay Patten) (11/30/89)

In article <[A.ISI.EDU]29-Nov-89.11:26:54.ENGLE>, ENGLE@A.ISI.EDU writes:

> Given virtual routing, I think you have to ask whether more than two
> links are necessary.  The effect will be that we can all toss out our
> code that routes between intermediate processors and let the chip
> handle it.

> Steven W. Engle

But two links limits you to a linear array (or loop I guess) which places
a definate limitation on the number of processors that you can use for most
applications.  It makes fault tolerence difficult.  It means I can only have
a one dimensional hypercube!!!

Lindsay Patten
Pattern Analysis & Machine Intelligence Group                   lindsay@watnext
Department of Systems Design Engineering           lindsay@watnext.waterloo.edu
University of Waterloo              {utai|decvax|uunet}!watmath!watnext!lindsay

malc@brwo.inmos.co.uk (Malcolm Boffey) (12/01/89)

There seems to be unnecessary confusion over the number of links that the H1 will
have. The processor with 2 links and 2KB is the T400, which you can buy now. The
H1 will have at least 4 links (physical links that is, with unlimited virtual
links mapped onto them). The total bandwidth for all the links together will be
about 80 MBytes/s. Also there will be in the order of 16KB of memory,
configured as cache or conventional on-chip RAM.
    Unfortunately I'm not sure what the company's position is on some of the
other things that have been mentions, otherwise I could spend all day posting
news rather than doing any work.
 Malcolm Boffey, Transputer Group, Inmos.   | Inmos Ltd,
UK:   malc@inmos.co.uk                      | 1000 Aztec West, Almondsbury,
US:   malc@inmos.com                        | Brisol BS12 4SQ.
UUCP: ...uunet!mcvax!ukc!inmos!malc         | Tel. +44 454 616616 x610

zenith-steven@CS.YALE.EDU (Steven Ericsson Zenith) (05/25/90)

OK. I give up. The cutesy picture is just too tempting a proposition.
As has already been noted, BYTE didn't publish the "Virtual Channel"
article in the USA edition (frankly that's because there really is
perceived to be little interest here in INMOS matters:-( ). But did
you spot the great Linda article in the general section? Can someone
*please* either fax me a copy of the H1 article (203 432-0593), marked
for my attention, or send me a copy by land mail? I'd be ever so
thankfull ... and buy you a beer next time I'm in the UK ;-).

Regards,
Steven

                                                                        .
Steven Ericsson Zenith              *            email: zenith@cs.yale.edu
Department of Computer Science      |            voice: (203) 432 1278
Yale University 51 Prospect Street New Haven CT 06520 USA.
     "All can know beauty as beauty only because there is ugliness"

cca04@seq1.keele.ac.uk (P.J. Mitchell) (05/25/90)

From article <4181@castle.ed.ac.uk>, by nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell):
> ...and it has a totally inappropriate and rather nausiating "cute" picture
> filling half of the first page.

It's dreadful isn't it.

> 		   Ich weiss jetzt was kein Engel weiss

Shouldn't that be "Ich weisse jetzt was ein Engel weissen" ?
--
--Paul Mitchell                                 | Computer Centre,
JANET:  cca04@uk.ac.keele.seq1                  | University of Keele, Keele,

Lydia.Heck@durham.ac.uk (05/26/90)

It might be that it is not:
>>                  Ich weiss jetzt was kein Engel weiss
but it is CERTAINLY NOT

"Ich weisse jetzt was ein Engel weissen"

as P. Mitchell (cca04@uk.ac.keele.seq1 ) quotes it.

However it could be
       " Ich weiss jetzt, was ein Engel weiss "
(To give a translation: I know now what an angel knows )

Lydia.Heck@uk.ac.durham

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (05/28/90)

In article <emu-pr11.lg.1990.0525.194447.phq7@uk.ac.dur.mts>, Lydia.Heck@durham writes:
>It might be that it is not:
>>>                  Ich weiss jetzt was kein Engel weiss
>but it is CERTAINLY NOT
>
>"Ich weisse jetzt was ein Engel weissen"
>

>as P. Mitchell (cca04@uk.ac.keele.seq1 ) quotes it.
>
>However it could be
>       " Ich weiss jetzt, was ein Engel weiss "
>(To give a translation: I know now what an angel knows )

It should translate to "I now know what no angel knows."
I thought I'd got it right...?

Follow-ups out of comp.sys.transputer into rec.film.wings-of-desire.fan-club.

>Lydia.Heck@uk.ac.durham

		Nick.
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick

ken@netcom.UUCP (Ken Kofman) (05/31/90)

I'm new to this newsgroup.  I have been hearing vague rumors about a next
generation transputer for some time now, and upon logging into this newsgroup
I noticed a whole bunch of discussion about the H1.

What will the thing do?  Of course it will be faster.  But will it support
static column or fast page DRAM?  How much internal memory, or will INMOS
switch to a cache?  Will there be support for virtual memory?  Any additions
to the instruction set? Etc.

Enquiring minds want to know

ken

--
Ken Kofman
General Nadine:  It doesn't matter how it's done, so long as there is a big

J.Wexler@edinburgh.ac.uk (10/05/90)

> Will it really be a 100MIPs,
> 100Mb/link processor?
> Will those of us who stuck by transputers in the
> face of increasingly fast competition be vindicated?

100MIPs: more than 150 claimed, and more than 20 MFLOPS (from tests of early
silicon). I think, though, that Inmos are still talking about 100MIPS and
10MFLOPS as realistic speeds for the first generation of these devices that will
be marketed.

100Mb/link -  Inmos claim 80Mbytes/second total throughput on all four links,
which is of the same order as your figure.

Vindication: that depends on why you stuck by transputers.  It won't be "the
fastest chip in the world" in the way that the T800 was (momentarily).

It will have slightly better support for operating systems and memory management
than the T8, but probably not as much as everybody would like. Inmos refer to
this as "an enhanced process model".  I doubt whether it will include memory
protection and virtual memory support.

It will nevertheless be very fast, with a much better balance of processing,
transfer and communication-set-up speeds than any other chip, so it will have
the edge in large-scale parallelism.  It will retain the support for real-time
and concurrent systems, still unmatched by other chips.  It will still be
excellent for embedded systems - but for many such purposes the T2, T4 or T8
will continue to be the best choice, being simpler and cheaper.

It will have 16Kbytes of on-chip memory, used by default as a cache but usable
directly as RAM if you prefer.

The links will not be directly compatible with T-series links (there will be
separate chips to interface the two kinds if required).  This is because they
will offer very important new facilities: multiple channels in each direction
supported on a single link (i.e., there will be a firmware
multiplexer/demultiplexer), and hardware through-routing so that channels can
connect processes on Transputers which are not directly connected. This is
achieved by wormhole routing, using a separate chip, which maintains the strict
occam model of communication - i.e., termination of transmission implies that
the whole message has been received.

Thus the typical complement of chips in system using H-series transputers will
include Transputers themselves and the new router chips, just as with T-series
processors you usually needed C004 switch chips (or equivalent).  Single-purpose
systems of moderate size may be able to do without the router chips, in the same
way that they might not have needed C004s if built with T-transputers. T-to-H
link adapter chips are likely to find a lot of uses, (a) in upgrading existing
systems, and (b) where it would be wasteful to use H-series chips for all
purposes in a system when a T4 or T2 can do many jobs so cheaply.

If you just want to use multiple-channels-per-link without through-routing
of messages, then the H-series links can do that without any external chips.

Personally, I have high hopes of this.  As much as anything else, its success
depends on Inmos' new openness to giving full support to the languages and
systems which potential customers want to use - C and Fortran and so on.

    John Wexler
    Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre

Disclaimer: I am not an employee of Inmos, and Inmos has not certified or
approved what I have told you. It is fairly old information.  It may be
inaccurate, misleading, out-of-date, or just plain wrong. I may have remembered
some of it wrongly or incompletely. I got it all from (a) published, widely
available, sources, and (b) Inmos statements given freely, publicly, and without
any request for confidentiality. Neither I nor the University of Edinburgh will
be responsible for any use you make of this. No commitment can be assumed for
Inmos to deliver any of the specifics that I have described.

kma%nil.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Kwan-Liu Ma) (03/19/91)

Hi

I need as much information as possible "NOW" about H1,
the next generation of Transputer, to talk about
the power and potential of Transputer in a report.
It will be greatly appreciated if you could tell me
everything (in particular performance, exact numbers, etc.)
that you know about H1, even through the grapevine.

Please send info directly to me.

  Thanks.

  Kwan-Liu