[comp.sys.transputer] Iserver

CASTEELS@phs.uia.ac.be (Paul Casteels) (05/22/91)

Does there exist a port of Iserver for DECStations that are connected
via a SCSI interface to a transputer network ?

Paul Casteels (casteels@phs.uia.ac.be)

HALLAM@vax1.physics.oxford.ac.uk ("Phillip M. Hallam-Baker") (05/22/91)

writes :-
 Does there exist a port of Iserver for DECStations that are connected
via a SCSI interface to a transputer network ?

There are three bits you need.

1 A SCSI TRAM *Which allows you to boot and analyse under SCSI host control*
2 A SCSI device driver
3 The Iserver source

Item 3 is easy. Inmos supply this with the toolset.

Item 2 is probably there. I don't Know about the DECstation. But DEC certainly
	supply a SCSI class driver under VMS - in source form. If not try
	to hassle DEC - they must have a source somewhere and letting you
	borrow it will help them sell DECstations.

Item 1 is unclear. Some SCSIs do some don't some are vague. Most appear to
	be designed with disk serving in mind. Noone seems to have thought of
	using them as an interface.

All in all if someone could sort this one I am sure there is a big market. If
you have a DEC workstation SCSI is the only bus you get. I suspect this is true
for a lot of vendors. AND you get a disk interface into the bargain (SCSI
allows two hosts) AND you are vendor independent.

At the moment we are connecting to VAX via Caplins ludicrously overpriced QT0
board (there is a new version the HIQ which is also silly priced) This means
paying $10,000 over the odds on the host to get the Q-bus. Inmos have been
rumbling about a TCP/IP interface board which sounds as if it will be good
when it arrives but will be similarly overpriced.

Phill Hallam-Baker

jg@esd.sgi.COM (John Giannandrea) (05/22/91)

   Does there exist a port of Iserver for DECStations that are connected
   via a SCSI interface to a transputer network ?

I am not aware of anyone who does this.

It does seem to me though that SCSI would make a good link interface,
especially since most vendors (Sun, SGI, IBM) provide a generic SCSI
device driver that you could hack up a link.c to use.

I just checked and the latest version of Ultrix appears not to have
such a driver.

davidb@brac.inmos.co.uk (David Boreham) (05/23/91)

In article <21696.9105221006@prg.oxford.ac.uk> HALLAM@vax1.physics.oxford.ac.uk ("Phillip M. Hallam-Baker") writes:

>Paul Casteels (casteels@phs.uia.ac.be)
>writes :-
> Does there exist a port of Iserver for DECStations that are connected
>via a SCSI interface to a transputer network ?
>
>There are three bits you need.
>
>1 A SCSI TRAM *Which allows you to boot and analyse under SCSI host control*
>2 A SCSI device driver
>3 The Iserver source
>
>Item 3 is easy. Inmos supply this with the toolset.
>
>Item 2 is probably there. I don't Know about the DECstation. But DEC certainly
>	supply a SCSI class driver under VMS - in source form. If not try
>	to hassle DEC - they must have a source somewhere and letting you
>	borrow it will help them sell DECstations.
>
>Item 1 is unclear. Some SCSIs do some don't some are vague. Most appear to
>	be designed with disk serving in mind. Noone seems to have thought of
>	using them as an interface.

Certainly our SCSI interface (B422) is for disk (and other device) attach
and for building equipment which looks like a SCSI Traget---not for doing
transputer array dangling from a WS.

You don't just need a TRAM with subsystem. You need someting with ROM,
with subsystem and with a motherboard which allows _another_ transputer
to be the dev sys target. This is important since if you just built
a SCSI TRAM with a subsystem and ROM on it and fitted it to a motherboard,
you wouldn't have another subsystem to go from the first real transputer
to a target network.

The IMS B300 is the TCP/IP product and we shipped some a couple of months
ago. Software beta testing is underway now and product B300's are expected
in July/August. Price is around $4K and that gets you four user capability.

In fact you could build a SCSI B300 by replacing the Ethernet TRAM with a
SCSI TRAM and concocting the right software. We have no plans to do this
but the boards are all available from INMOS so if someone out there wants
to put the thing together, it is possible.

As for turbochannel---we've looked at it but don't see any demand.
Current strategy is to support attachment via Ethernet---moving
to FDDI and SCSI for T9000 and to support very popular busses only
where there are good price/performance reasons for doing so. This
means ISA, MCA, SBus, VME and perhaps EISA.

David Boreham, INMOS Limited | mail(uk): davidb@inmos.co.uk or ukc!inmos!davidb
Bristol,  England            |     (us): uunet!inmos.com!davidb
+44 454 616616 ex 547        | Internet: davidb@inmos.com