[net.micro] Leading Edge PC

jordan@noscvax.UUCP (Martin C. Jordan) (10/15/85)

Date: Thu, 10 Oct 85 11:43:47 pdt
From: Martin C. Jordan <jordan@cod>
To: amc543@uxa.CSO.UIUC.EDU
Subject: Re: Leading Edge PC

-------
Aaron,
        Many thanks for reply to question about the Leading Edge D. It
certainly appears to be a well-built machine. A friend of mine took
delivery of his recently. It ran all text-oriented programs without
a hitch, but balked at any graphics/game programs. In fact, it didn't
want to display the graphic output of a TurboPascal program I had written
and used on my COMPAQ at work. I couldn't find out to my satisfaction
if this was because of the monitor used, the "Hercules emulator," or a
compatability problem. I even called Borland and Leading Edge. There were
just too many "maybes" for me. So, I recently took delivery of a PC clone
made in Taiwan (closer than Korea I figured) which is essentially an
XT w/o hard disk, a "real" Hercules Color card, 384K on an AST 6 PAK, a
Princeton HX-12 monitor, and an FX-85 printer with cable. This was $1995
vs $1500 for the monochrome Leading Edge. Besides, my wife said to get
what we both need and OK'd it. The shop is located here in San Diego. It
had the same computer, 256K, monochrome card and monitor for only $995.
Buying the same printer as with the Leading Edge was only $200 more. Still
a chunk of change less than the L.E. Thanks again for your response and
for listening to my rambling about my new "toy."

                                        Sincerely,

                                                Martin
-------

slerner@sesame.UUCP (Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner) (10/18/85)

>                     ..... It ran all text-oriented programs without
> a hitch, but balked at any graphics/game programs. In fact, it didn't
> want to display the graphic output of a TurboPascal program I had written
> and used on my COMPAQ at work. I couldn't find out to my satisfaction
> if this was because of the monitor used, the "Hercules emulator," or a
> compatability problem.

There probably is no compatibility problem here, as much as a misunderstanding.
The hercules cards (and its imitators) are NOT compatible with the color card.
It is a monochrome graphics card designed to take advantage of the resolution
of the mono monitor.  As a result, you need software that has a driver for
the Herc.  (eg: Lotus supplies CGA, EGA, Hercules and other drivers with
their products in order to support graphics).  If you are trying to deal
with the system as if it were a color card system, it won't work.

If you want to look into another video card that will give you compaq-like
capabilities (hi-res text and color card compatible graphics on the mono
monitor) look at the STB chaufer (sp).

If your software was written to work specificly with a herc and fails
to run, please tear up this article and forget I opened my mouth :-).

--
Opinions expressed are public domain, and do not belong to Lotus
Development Corp.

Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner

              {genrad|ihnp4|ima}!wjh12!talcott!sesame!slerner
                      {cbosgd|harvard}!talcott!sesame!slerner
                       talcott!sesame!slerner@harvard.ARPA